1 Million PLM User Scalability Testing Conducted on Aras with Microsoft SQL Server 2014
Andover, MA, September 03, 2014 --(PR.com
)-- Aras®, the next leader in enterprise Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software, today announced the results of independent testing conducted by Logic 20/20 for the scalability of Aras Innovator 10 running Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition. Results validate optimal performance and resource utilization for 1,000,000 named users with 250,000 concurrent users - the largest testing conducted to date in the enterprise PLM industry.
Aras Innovator 10 Running on SQL Server 2014 Scalability Benchmark Methodology and Performance Results report available at www.aras.com/scalability
“Testing validates that Aras Innovator 10 on SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition can handle an extremely high number of concurrent users and data when running on standard server configurations,” said Anders Westby, Director of Cloud Services and Testing at Logic 20/20. “During testing the average response times were very fast, and no hardware bottlenecks were observed during any of the tests. Under the heaviest load average CPU utilization was generally below 10 percent and was never higher than 20 percent.”
“SQL Server 2014 delivers a new level of scalability and performance for mission-critical applications such as Aras Innovator for PLM whether running in the data center or the Cloud,” said Simon Floyd, Director of Product Lifecycle Management Solutions at Microsoft. “Aras Innovator with SQL Server 2014 provides global enterprises the opportunity to confidently grow their PLM footprint internally and externally to supply chain partners.”
Tests were conducted on Aras Innovator 10 running SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition with standard Microsoft recommended settings and best practices. The HP ProLiant DL980G7 server was tested with two HP ioDrive2 Duo IO accelerators. Testing occurred with 1,000,000 named users at 125,000, 150,000, 200,000 and 250,000 concurrent user loads with real-world scenarios and data structures to simulate actual usage.
Logic 20/20’s Performance Conclusions
· Aras Innovator 10 and SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition running on standard HP server configurations showed strong performance and excellent resource utilization across all tests.
· As expected in an online transaction processing workload like Aras Innovator 10, the database performance of SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition at scale was crucial.
· The scalability enhancements in SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition enabled Aras Innovator 10 to scale to 1,000,000 named users and 250,000 concurrent users with exceptionally fast and consistent performance.
· Average response times were excellent across the different user loads from 125,000 to 250,000 concurrent users.
· During testing average CPU utilization was consistently below 10 percent and was never higher than 20 percent.
· Benchmark testing results validate that Aras Innovator 10 running on SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition scales nearly linearly with hardware upgrades and is architected for very high numbers of concurrent users.
· The performance of Aras Innovator 10 is not constrained by its architecture. The design puts the burden of work on the hardware, so it can be scaled-up and scaled-out with server hardware.
The Aras architecture supports scale-out on the file system and web servers with scale-up on the database by moving non-transactional data to the scale-out servers, allowing Aras Innovator 10 to handle very large levels of throughput by using frequent, short database transactions. Optimized exclusively for Microsoft SQL Server, Aras Innovator 10 is able to achieve this new level of PLM scalability because of Aras’s unique technology innovation, a model-based service oriented architecture (model-based SOA). The model-based SOA is designed for scalability, flexibility and extensibility while delivering consistent performance at scale whether running applications out-of-the-box or highly customized.
“The world’s largest manufacturers are telling us that they need better PLM performance than they have been able to obtain from the other PLM systems,” said Peter Schroer, President of Aras. “With these tests we’ve publicly demonstrated a new high water mark in PLM scalability that the legacy software architectures have never been able to achieve.”
About Logic20/20, Inc.
Founded in 2005, Logic20/20 (www.logic2020.com) is a Seattle-based full-service business and technology consulting firm with more than 100 full-time employees and 20-40 offshore dedicated technology staff. From Fortune 100 companies to well-funded start-ups, the firm serves businesses and non-profits, offering its clients range of cutting-edge services. These services include: cloud computing, business intelligence, business process / strategy, systems integration, business and performance transformation, project/program management and go-to-market solutions. The team supporting Aras brought an average of 20+ years of deep technical and business experience through their industry exposure allowing for immediate impact.
We offer the best Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software for global businesses with complex products and processes. Advanced PLM platform technology makes Aras more scalable, flexible and secure for the world’s largest organizations, and a full set of applications provide complete functionality for companies of all sizes. Customers include GE, GETRAG, Hitachi, Honda, Motorola, TEVA Pharmaceuticals, Textron and XEROX. Aras is privately held with global headquarters in Andover, Mass. More at www.aras.com and Twitter @aras_plm
Product and service names mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.