Research Triangle Park, NC, November 12, 2010 --(PR.com
)-- Bayer CropScience (http://www.bayercropscience.com), one of the world’s top innovative crop science companies in the areas of crop protection, non-agricultural pest control, seeds and traits, has announced that Dr. Jacqueline Applegate, head of the Bayer Environmental Science North America, has been inducted into the 2010 class of the YWCA Academy of Women. Applegate was recognized in a gala ceremony on Nov. 3 for her dedication to improving the social and economic conditions that impact girls, women and their families in the Triangle community in addition to mentoring women in her own organization.
Established in 1983, the Academy of Women is a distinguished membership group of remarkable women who excel in their fields and who embody the YWCA mission of eliminating racism and empowering women. Each November the YWCA of the Greater Triangle holds the Academy of Women Awards to honor new inductees with a gala ceremony open to the public. This close-knit group of Academy members often convenes to support one another and is positioned to create lasting programs and fundraising projects that benefit the YWCA and its members.
“It is truly an honor to be inducted into the YWCA’s Academy of Women,” said Applegate. “As part of this group, I look forward to working with the YWCA to continue to support their mission to empower women and minimize racism in the Triangle area. I believe that it’s my role as a female leader to reach out and connect with other future leaders whether it’s at Bayer CropScience or in the community at a leadership camp for middle school age girls.”
- With a sincere belief in controlling our own destiny through positive energy, Applegate inspires growth and leadership at work and in the community. She encourages staff at all levels of Bayer Environmental Science to challenge themselves, making time to be a supportive sounding board. With her passion for biology and chemistry, Applegate is committed to cultivating leadership in young women by creating excitement around science and technology.
- She has served on the Women’s Leadership Council for the Triangle United Way, and also organizes a group of women from Bayer to volunteer as mentors to the young girls in the Girl Scouts of North Carolina Coastal Pines’ Camp Mary Atkinson.
- Applegate’s favorite phrase, “and then some,” is based on a belief that by inspiring others to give just a little bit more, we can all accomplish a great deal more. This phrase has become her team’s mantra, and the way in which they interact internally and with customers.
- Applegate’s work with local young girls is featured in an online video at http://bit.ly/b0WHLh.
- Applegate earned her Ph.D in chemistry from Iowa State University.
- Bayer Environmental Science North America is a division of Bayer CropScience LP, which provides innovative plant health and pest solutions for consumer, turf and ornamental, and pest management professionals.
- For more information about the YWCA Academy of Women, visit http://www.ywcatriangle.org.
About Bayer CropScience:
Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the fields of health care, nutrition and high-tech materials. Bayer CropScience AG, a subsidiary of Bayer AG with annual sales of about EUR 6.5 billion (2009), is one of the world’s leading innovative crop science companies in the areas of crop protection, non-agricultural pest control, seeds and traits. The company offers an outstanding range of products and extensive service backup for modern, sustainable agriculture and for non-agricultural applications. Bayer CropScience has a global workforce of 18,700 and is represented in more than 120 countries. This and further news is available at: http://www.press.bayercropscience.com.
This news release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Bayer Group or subgroup management. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Bayer’s public reports which are available on the Bayer website at http://www.bayer.com. The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.
MMI Public Relations