Tampa, FL, December 15, 2011 --(PR.com
)-- Colorful lights, candles sitting in the windowsill and sparkling Christmas trees are staples of the holidays, but The Public Adjusters warn that these decorative items also pose a fire risk if not handled with the proper care.
For the four year period of 2005-2009, on average, one of every 18 reported home Christmas tree fires resulted in a death, compared to just an average of one death per 141 total home fires, according to the National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA). Holiday lights and other decorative lighting were involved in an estimated average of 150 home fires per year during the same time period. These fires caused an average of eight deaths, 14 injuries and $8.5 million in direct property damage per year.
“December is an exciting time where just about every home in the neighborhood is accented with decorations and holiday lighting,” said Ronald Delo, President, of the independent public adjusting firm. “While decorations and Christmas trees certainly spread holiday cheer, it is important to follow basic safety steps so celebrations go off without a problem.”
Here are a few holiday safety tips from the NFPA:
· Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
· Keep lit candles away from decorations or anything that can burn.
· Use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory and check the packaging.
· Replace any string of lights w/worn or broken cords or loose connections, and connect no more strands than recommended.
· Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
· Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
For Christmas tree safety:
· Keep your tree well watered.
· Replace any string of lights with worn or broken bulbs or loose bulb connections.
· Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
· Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
· Get rid of the tree when it is dry Check for recycling opportunities in your area.
· Bring outdoor electrical lights inside after the holidays to prevent deterioration and hazards.
The Public Adjusters / Insurance Claim Consultants Inc. is a public insurance adjusting firm licensed in 11 states throughout the United States. The firm works exclusively for the policyholder, ensuring maximum settlement amounts are paid based upon the damage and policy provisions unique to each insurance claim. With over three decades of winning experience and more than 10,000 clients served, the Tampa-based firm of public loss adjusters and insurance consultants specialize in loss assessment adjusting for home and business owners that suffer property loss from hurricane damage, tornado damage, fire and smoke damage, water loss damage, sinkholes, flood damage, hidden decay and business interruption claims. Acting as an ally and personal advocate for its clients during the claims process, The Public Adjusters has negotiated hundreds of millions of dollars- including tens of millions in increased settlements- on behalf of property owners and managers. The firm of independent public loss adjusters boasts a 100% success rate in the re-opening of property insurance claims and has obtained settlements higher than 500% of the insurance company’s original offer. Company principle, Ronald Delo, is considered an industry- expert in property insurance lending his voice and expertise to numerous media outlets such as CNN, NBC and ABC, The New York Times and other media outlets to discuss property insurance issues and topics.