Southern California-Based Author Headlines Annual USC Women’s Conference Workshop on Growing Number of Sandwich Generation Caregivers
Newport Beach, CA, March 01, 2013 --(PR.com
)-- USC is hosting its 5th Annual Women’s Conference including the Wellness Workshop on the “Sandwich Generation Juggling Act – Children, Career and Caregiving” featuring a presentation by noted national caregiving expert Sherri Snelling, author of A Cast of Caregivers – Celebrity Stories to Help You Prepare to Care (published Feb, 2013).
- 65 million Americans are caregivers – 24 million of them sandwiched between caring for children and caring for an older parent
- California has more than 5.8 million caregivers who provide $47 billion of unpaid care to older loved ones (AARP report, 2011)
- Caregivers are 2x as likely to develop heart disease, diabetes, cancer, asthma and other chronic illnesses from prolonged stress of caregiving
- More than half spend on average 10% of their annual income on caregiving-related expenses – 6 out of 10 accruing more debt or using existing savings to cover these costs
- According to a Feb, 2013 Pew Research Report of Sandwich Generation caregivers - 33% are Baby Boomers and 42% are Gen X age groups (showing a growing trend among younger generations)
Speaker/Author Available for Interviews Prior to March 7 Conference:
Sherri Snelling – author of A Cast of Caregivers and CEO of the Caregiving Club, is a contributor to Huffington Post, PBS NextAvenue.org, MariaShriver.com, the Alzheimer’s Association, etc. reaching 15 million readers monthly. She was recently honored by Dr. Oz and Sharecare as #4 on the Top 10 list of Alzheimer’s Influencers on the Web and was chairman of the National Alliance for Caregiving, the leading non-profit research and advocacy organization based in Washington, D.C. Snelling is a USC alumna and resides in Newport Beach.
Read more about the author and the book: caregivingclub.com/book/
The 60-minute workshop will outline what Snelling calls the “Caregiving Cliff” – health risks for Sandwich Generation caregivers, solutions on how to prepare to care, manage stress, achieve better wellness including the author’s Me Time Monday℠ caregiving prescription for balancing self-care while caregiving.
USC Women’s Conference – Thursday, March 7 (8am-5pm)
USC – University Park Campus
To request a copy of Sherri Snelling’s book, A Cast of Caregivers, please contact Sherri at 949-887-1903. To read the advance reviews of the book: caregivingclub.com/book-buzz/ . The event is sold out to the public however Snelling will be at the USC Alumni House for a book signing from 4:00 – 5:00pm which is open to the public. Media attendance requests should be directed to the USC Alumni Association (213-740-2300).