Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum Stainless Steel 1936 Ford Tudor Sedan on Display Through Labor Day
Auburn, IN, June 14, 2014 --(PR.com
)-- The Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum is pleased to announce the display of a very rare and beautiful piece of automotive history. This is one of six 1936 Fords produced for the Allegheny Ludlum Steel Company by the Ford Motor Company at the end of 1936 production. The leaders of Allegheny Ludlum were looking for a rolling billboard to promote their durable and rust-resistant super metal. They approached Henry Ford about it in 1935. The idea wasn’t foreign to Mr. Ford who had experimented with 3 stainless steel Model A’s in the late 1920’s, which have since been lost to history.
After the cars rolled off the line, one was shipped to each of Allegheny Ludlum’s district offices in New York, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and St. Louis. These cars were not show toys that were hauled from location to location. They were road warriors that drove over 20,000 miles a year. The top sales person in each district earned free use of the car for one year. In 1946 all six were retired having more than 200,000 miles. The St. Louis and Cleveland cars whereabouts are unknown.The Detroit car is in a museum in Cleveland, OH. Allegheny Ludlum kept the New York and Philadelphia cars. The Chicago car was either sold or given away and eventually ended up in the hands of Leo Gephardt at the garage of world renowned car restoration expert Lon Krueger. The crowning achievement of the whole restoration is the meticulously polished body. It’s captivatingly shiny. The cars were originally raw, unpolished stainless steel (no paint needed for these beauties). They looked soft and metallic with a natural metal sheen that was neither dull nor blinding bright. Today, the car is a mirror on wheels that reflects the envious expression of whoever happens to be drooling over it at the time.
The Early Ford V-8 Foundation is a 501(c) (3) non-profit, educational organization dedicated to "Preserving 1932-1953 Early Ford V-8 History. Open to the public Mondays 9am -3pm, Tuesday – Saturday 9am – 5pm, Last admission at 5pm. Closed on Sundays. 260-927-8022 www.fordv8foundation.org