Baltimore, MD, November 12, 2008 --(PR.com
)-- Kelly & Associates Insurance Group (KELLY) has published Beyond Benefits – Wellness Trend Report, the third edition of its analysis of health care trends and spending in America, as well as the unseen potential for workplace wellness programs to promote employee health, morale and retention.
“At KELLY, we are always looking for ways to help our clients deliver meaningful, high quality Total Benefits Solutions® for a reasonable price,” said John Kelly, chief innovation and strategic planning officer of KELLY. “It’s clear that the prevailing approach to health care is not working: We spend more on health care than any other country in the world, yet we are not healthier.”
“What we need to do is move away from the notion of fixing something that is broken, such as a diagnosed medical condition, to preventing it from happening in the first place,” Mr. Kelly continued. “It is our hope that the information we are presenting in ‘Beyond Benefits’ will inspire more companies to embrace a culture of wellness that prevents illness and delivers real savings.”
Among the startling statistics contained in the report:
- Health care is the largest sector of the U.S. Economy.
- Addressing preventable disease through wellness programs could eliminate as much as half of the annual drug cost.
- Up to 75% of health care spending can be traced to conditions that can be avoided or delayed through preventative measures and lifestyle choices.
- 15% of all U.S. health care costs are attributable to sedentary lifestyles.
- Children and adolescents who are overweight by age 8 are 80% more likely to become overweight or obese adults.
- 70% of all cancers could be prevented if people lost weight, exercised regularly, avoided diets rich in red meats, ate diets rich in fruits and vegetables, and stopped using tobacco.
- 42,000 lives per year would be saved if 90% of smokers were advised by a health professional to quit and were encouraged with medication or other assistance. Today only 28% of smokers receive such assistance.
- The average amount of time that consumers spend thinking about purchasing a television is four times greater than the amount of time they spend contemplating decisions on their benefits selections.
- For every dollar spent on putting a wellness program in place, employers have seen an average reduction of $2.45 in medical claims.
Beyond Benefits – Wellness Trend Report is the third in a series on the state of health care in America, introducing updated data on current trends and spending on benefit plans, prescription drugs, consumer directed health care and introducing a correlation between workplace wellness and increased savings. To order a copy of the publication, go to www.kaig.com or www.kellybenefitstrategies.com.
About Kelly & Associates Insurance Group (KELLY)
KELLY is one of the region’s largest and fastest growing group benefit administrators, brokers and consultants, with more than $1 billion in annualized premium under management. KELLY works with thousands of employers ranging from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies, as well as select agents and brokers, to deliver affordable group benefits through innovative benefit design, management and administration, and payroll and workers’ compensation services through its independent affiliate, Kelly & Associates Financial Services. Founded in 1976 as a family business, KELLY now employs more than 350 people and is headquartered in Hunt Valley, MD.