Las Vegas, NV, June 12, 2010 --(PR.com
)-- “According to the Home Safety Council, falls are the leading cause of unintentional home injury death, accounting for an average of 5.1 million injuries and 6,000 deaths each year. As a result, our focus for June is posting blogs and articles full of home safety tips and valuable information to help our visitors and their aging parents avoid being a statistic,” said Karen Frye, CFO and co-founder of ParentYourParents.com.
Below are some quick safety tips to look for in your home, or your parent’s home, to prevent falls:
- Make sure stairs and steps, indoors and outside, have handrails on both si des that go from top to bottom.
- Make sure top and bottom of stairs, indoors and outside, are well lit.
- Small area rugs are easy to trip on. Tape them to the floor, or get rid of them.
- Keep stairs clear of stuff, inside and outside.
- Have nightlights in bedrooms, bathrooms, and hallways.
- Use a bath mat or non-slip strips in the bathtub and shower.
- Use non-slip rugs on the bathroom floor.
- Install grab bars in the bathtub and shower.
- Wipe up spills when they happen, and keep bathroom floors dry.
- Make sure porches are well lit.
- Keep sidewalks and paths in good repair, and clear of toys and other things.
- Fix broken stairs or chipped sidewalks as soon as possible.
Frye continues, “The best kind of peace of mind is knowing your aging loved ones are safe in their own home, or safe where ever they may be living. But how do you know what is considered ‘safe’? And when you really think about it, making sure your parent’s home is completely safe can be overwhelming. To assist our visitors and help them gain peace of mind we have also posted several home safety checklists on ParentYourParents.com.”
Visit ParentYourParents.com for more information on home safety for seniors and other topics of elder care and senior information.
About Us: ParentYourParents.com is an elder care information resource for adult children of aging parents, caregivers and seniors. Visitors will find information and providers in all states. ParentYourParents.com provides information on over 50 categories of senior related businesses and senior care services. In addition, visitors will find individual state and local provider directories, assistance programs, senior centers, helpful links and articles to help caregivers, seniors and those seeking information and elder care solutions.