Edinburgh, United Kingdom, October 13, 2010 --(PR.com
)-- The figures have been released by the Edinburgh Convention Bureau (ECB – http://www.conventionedinburgh.com/), the body responsible for promoting Edinburgh as a global business tourism destination.
Included in the £40.4 million of the anticipated economic value is £7.6 million attributed to conferences confirmed between 4th September and 1st October (2010).
The ECB confirmed Edinburgh is to play host to 20 new events which will be staged between October this year and September 2012.
It is estimated that these most recent conference wins for Edinburgh will bring up to 8,230 delegates to the city.
The subjects under discussion at the newly confirmed meetings range from metal organic frameworks to veterinary immunology, epidemiology and gastroenterology.
Sue Stuart, Chief Executive of ECB, commented, "Edinburgh continues to demonstrate it possesses the rich diversity of qualities essential for a globally attractive and successful business tourism destination."
- ECB helped win 257 conferences in Edinburgh during 2009/10 worth £74.2 million to the economy.
- Edinburgh is the most popular UK city after London for hosting international association meetings and is the 36th most popular business tourism destination in the world.
- In order to count towards ICCA ranking an event must rotate its location between a minimum of two countries and have at least 50 (international) delegates.
- The annual total value of Edinburgh’s business tourism is estimated at almost £300 million.
- The Edinburgh Ambassadors Programme matches recognised leaders in the city’s many areas of academic and commercial excellence with the professional marketing support of ECB staff who together work as a team to help them bring their international association’s conference to Edinburgh. Since 1996 the programme has helped bring more than 210 major events, worth almost £100 million, to the city.
- Edinburgh is a founder member of the international www.bestcities.net strategic alliance, which aims to guarantee the meetings industry the world’s best service experience in each of the member cities (Cape Town, Copenhagen, Dubai, Edinburgh, Melbourne, San Juan, Singapore, Vancouver).
- To learn more about ECB visit www.conventionedinburgh.com
Issued on behalf of ECB by fs communications.
For further information contact:
Telephone: +44 (0)7718660122