Raleigh, NC, August 21, 2011 --(PR.com
)-- ABC11 Eyewitness News (http://www.abc11.com) has announced its sponsorship of the upcoming events surrounding the Jimmy V Celebrity Golf Classic, an annual event that raises funds for cancer research in honor of former N.C. State men’s basketball head coach, Jim Valvano. Supporting The V Foundation for Cancer Research, the golf classic hosts celebrities both in and out of the sports world, with participants coming from music, television and movies as well. Founded in 1993 to honor Valvano, who passed away that same year from a year-long battle with cancer, the V Foundation has raised more than $100 million to fund cancer research grants nationwide.
ABC11 Eyewitness News on-air personalities will participate as masters and mistresses of ceremony in the following events for the Jimmy V activities:
- On Friday, Aug. 26, anchors Steve Daniels and Tisha Powell will host the Jimmy V Celebrity Golf Classic Reverse Raffle at the Raleigh Convention Center from 7 p.m. until 10 p.m.
- On Sunday, Aug. 28, sports anchor Mark Armstrong will host the awards ceremony for the Jimmy V Celebrity Golf Classic at the Lonnie Poole Golf Course on the N.C. State campus at 4 p.m.
- On Tuesday, Aug. 30, anchor Fred Shropshire will host the volunteer party for the Jimmy V Golf Classic at the Alumni Center on the Centennial Campus at N.C. State from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m.
For more information on the events of the Jimmy V. Celebrity Golf Classic, visit http://www.golfclassic.org.
“Jim Valvano was an extraordinary individual whose life continues to inspire people around the nation to persevere, never give up and lead a fuller life,” says John Idler, president of ABC11 Eyewitness News. “ABC11 is proud to participate in the events that bring a national audience together to honor this incredible man and his life while raising money for cancer research.”
New Media Content:
ABC11 Eyewitness News Facebook Page:
ABC11 Eyewitness News Twitter Page:
- Valvano, the N.C. State men’s head basketball coach when they won the NCAA National Championship in 1983, is most notably known for his inspirational speech given at the ESPY Awards in 1993, which took place one month prior to losing his battle with cancer.
- For more information on the V Foundation, visit http://www.jimmyv.org.
About ABC11 Eyewitness News:
ABC11 Eyewitness News provides 41.5 hours of local news every week, serving more than 1 million households in a 23-county area in North Carolina and Virginia. Eyewitness News also provides news, weather and sports information 24 hours a day on ABC11.com as well as serving two additional digital channels, The HD Live Well Network on 11.2 (Time Warner Ch. 1112; and the Live Well Network on 11.3 (Time Warner Ch. 113). ABC11 WTVD is part of the Disney-ABC Television Group, which is home to all of The Walt Disney Company’s worldwide entertainment and news television properties. For more information, go to http://www.abc11.com.
MMI Public Relations