Jessica Lyon, Attorney, Division of Privacy and Identity Protection, Federal Trade Commission to Speak at KC’s Data Privacy Emerging Issues: A 2012 Update Live Webcast
The Knowledge Group/The Knowledge Congress Live Webcast Series, the leading producer of regulatory focused webcasts, has announced today that Jessica Lyon, Attorney, Division of Privacy and Identity Protection, Federal Trade Commission, will speak at a 2-hour webcast entitled “Data Privacy Emerging Issues: A 2012 Update Live Webcast.” This event is scheduled for July 25, 2012 from 12pm-2pm (ET).
About Jessica Lyon
Jessica Lyon is an attorney in the Division of Privacy and Identity Protection at the Federal Trade Commission. Her work focuses on data security, consumer privacy, and Fair Credit Reporting Act issues. She has previously worked at Consumers’ Union (West Coast office) and Prisoners’ Legal Services of New York. During law school, she participated in the Samuelson Law, Technology, and Public Policy Clinic and was an article editor and assistant managing editor of the Berkley Technology Law Journal. She received her B.A. from Binghamton University, and a J.D. from Berkeley Law.
Data privacy issues have been a top concern in many business industries today. Much of the data collected and stored is of a highly sensitive nature and if lost or stolen could open firm up to huge lawsuits. Thieves and hackers are becoming ever more sophisticated in the planning and execution of their attacks. You need to be ready by building an integrated data protection program from a policy perspective in order to be secure. While there are no quick fixes to this problem, there are ways to mitigate and reduce the possibility of data theft or leaks.
This Live Webcast will help you develop an effective privacy, security and information risk management framework from a policy perspective, address privacy and data security issues, expand your data privacy regulation, deal with privacy challenges using the social media.
The panel of key thought leaders will discuss the following issues:
• FTC’s Approach to Data Security Enforcement (legal standards and guiding principles)
• Factors that Increase the Risk that Data may be Lost or Stolen (new trends, new tools)
• Common Data Security Failures
• Potential Harm to Consumers
• Recent developments in cloud privacy and security
• Update on state of cookie standards, guidance and laws
• Emerging mobile privacy considerations
• Restrictions on collection, use and disclosure of retail consumer data
• Recording telephone calls: extra-territorial enforcement issues
• Text message litigation: how sending a confirmation can be painful
• Recent California actions:
o California Class actions: collection of personal information in credit card transactions: what is personal information?
o California Class actions: disclosure of information for marketing purposes
• Recent developments and trends involving state data breach notification laws
• Proposed federal legislation regarding privacy and data breach notification laws
• The White House, Department of Commerce and Federal Trade Commission privacy frameworks
• Potential impact of these and other government initiatives on interoperability among data privacy regimes
• Restrictions on Use and Disclosure of healthcare information
• Permitted Uses and Disclosures
• Enhanced Patient Rights
• Expanded application of HIPAA and HITECH
• Enhanced Penalties
• Recent Enforcement Actions
For further details about this event, please visit:
About The Knowledge Group, LLC/The Knowledge Congress Live Webcast Series
The Knowledge Congress is a series of live webcasts produced by The Knowledge Group, LLC, which examine trends, regulatory, and technology changes across a variety of industries. Its mission is to produce unbiased, objective, and educational live webcasts that examine industry trends and regulatory changes from a variety of different perspectives. The goal is to deliver a unique multilevel analysis of an important issue affecting business in a highly focused format.
The organization brings together the world's leading authorities and industry participants through informative two-hour webcasts to study the impact of changes and emerging trends. Hear from leading government officials/regulators, key thought leaders, and industry experts objectively analyze the latest trends and issues and their impact on industries. For further details, please visit the organization’s website: www.knowledgecongress.org
Thomas LaPointe, Jr., Executive Director
Therese Lumbao, Director
Account Management & Member Services