Houston, TX, October 12, 2014 --(PR.com
)-- Rail and bus passengers are looking for the fastest, safest and most comfortable way from Point A to Point B. Polycarbonate products from Bayer MaterialScience LLC help riders comfortably reach their destination.
Transit agency officials, engineers, operations personnel and planning officials attending the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) Expo will discover how polycarbonate sheet products from Bayer can effectively reduce cost and contribute to improved passenger safety and comfort. Here’s a preview of the materials Bayer will showcase at APTA EXPO booth #1507.
· Bayblend® MTR (mass transit rail) high-performance polycarbonate sheet – Available in an array of colors and textures, Bayblend® MTR polycarbonate sheet complies with the latest recommended low flame, smoke and toxicity (FST) levels. Bayblend® MTR polycarbonate sheet meets U.S. Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) DOT: 49 CFR 238, Appendix B flammability and smoke emissions requirements. The material also satisfies Bombardier Transportation Standard SMP 800-C for Toxic Gas Generation. It is up to 30 percent lighter weight than traditional products and can be easily fabricated. It offers excellent mechanical properties, including rigidity, strength and exceptional impact resistance. Bayblend® MTR polycarbonate sheet readily thermoforms on tooling commonly used with other sheet materials to form passenger rail car interior components and does not use PVC. It draws easily into corners and maintains retention of design detail. These forming and fabricating advantages add to the cost effectiveness of the material.
· Bayblend® MTR AG (mass transit rail anti-graffiti) and Bayblend® MTR AG Deco polycarbonate sheet – These polycarbonate sheet grades are high-performance product extensions of Bayblend® MTR polycarbonate sheet, providing increased resistance to graffiti, scratches, cleaning chemicals and foodstuff stains. In addition to a wide variety of textures and colors, Bayblend® MTR AG Deco polycarbonate sheet is also available with custom-printed decorative patterns.
· Makrolon® TG (train glazing) polycarbonate sheet – Used for various rail car windows, Makrolon® TG polycarbonate sheet meets stringent FRA requirements for impact and ballistic performance. Additionally, the material is abrasion, chemical and UV resistant, and is half the weight of glass. It can be manufactured in clear and custom tints. The material’s impact resistance also helps transit authorities reduce the cost of unscheduled maintenance due to broken glass.
· Makrolon® BG (bus glazing) polycarbonate sheet – Helping to reach new fuel economy standards, Makrolon® BG polycarbonate sheet is an excellent alternative to glass for side passenger bus windows due to its exceptional durability and its light weight. It is graffiti, abrasion and weather resistant. Its thermal and sound insulating properties also help increase passenger comfort.
· Makrolon® AR (abrasion resistant) polycarbonate sheet – Passenger structures fabricated with Makrolon® AR polycarbonate sheet provide superior impact resistance and toughness. The polycarbonate sheet is able to withstand vandalism and provide daylighting, as well as long-lasting outdoor weathering performance.
· Makrolon® Lumen XT polycarbonate sheet – When used as a diffuser for lighting on trains and buses, the polycarbonate sheet increases light uniformity, provides high light transmission and minimizes hot spots. Makrolon® Lumen XT polycarbonate sheet has high impact strength and high temperature resistance.
Visitors to Bayer’s booth will be able to see a variety of polycarbonate sheet products including Bayblend® MTR polycarbonate sheet used in a profile section of a passenger rail car. The booth will also highlight a display case containing thermoformed Bayblend components. The case was constructed with Makrolon® TG and Makrolon® Lumen XT polycarbonate sheet.
“Polycarbonate sheet products, used for years in mass transit applications, are proven, cost-effective solutions,” said Celeste Dunn, transportation segment manager, Bayer MaterialScience LLC. “These lightweight polycarbonate product offerings from Bayer contribute to weight reduction that translates into fuel savings while also helping to ensure passengers reach their destination safely – and in style.”
To learn more about Bayer’s materials for the mass transportation industry, stop by Bayer’s booth (#1507) at the APTA EXPO from Oct. 13-15.
About Bayer MaterialScience LLC:
Bayer MaterialScience LLC is one of the leading producers of high-performance plastics in North America and is part of the global Bayer MaterialScience business with approximately 14,300 employees at 30 production sites around the world and 2013 sales of 11.2 billion euros. Bayer MaterialScience, a Bayer Group company, manufactures high-tech polymer materials and develops innovative solutions for products used in many areas of daily life. The main segments served are the automotive, electrical and electronics, construction, medical, and sports and leisure industries. Sustainability is central to Bayer MaterialScience LLC’s business and is based around the key areas of innovation, product stewardship, social responsibility and respect for the environment.