Walnut Creek, CA, May 20, 2015 --(PR.com
)-- Are you ready to let your hair down and have some fun this summer? Wavy, “beachy” hair is a hot look, but it can leave your hair a hot mess. Chlorine, sun and heat can be tough on hair, so what’s a beauty to do?
“Don’t stress,” says Joanne Starkman. The California-based Starkman knows hair; she has worked in the industry since 1989, “By being proactive and planning ahead, you’ll be able to successfully maintain the health of your hair in one of the toughest seasons for tresses. A few simple steps will keep hair looking great well into winter and will save you money at the salon.”
Starkman is the co-founder of Innersense™ Organic Beauty, which is a leader in the green beauty industry. Carried at more than 4,000 salons & spas and at www.InnersenseBeauty.com, Innersense products are free of toxins, silicones, resins, phthalates & parabens. Starkman’s seven tips to keep hair healthy and sexy this summer:
1. The Dish on Swimming: We all love a dip in the pool, but dry hair is a drag. “The #1 hair complaint I hear is dryness; chlorine is a cause. Before plunging in, make sure your hair is saturated with water,” urges Starkman. She loves to smooth Innersense Color Radiance Daily Conditioner over wet hair before diving in. Once you’re finished swimming, rinse hair thoroughly and shampoo. Starkman shampoos with Color Awakening Hairbath, “Containing sunflower seed extract, the Hairbath adds natural color protection so hair color stays fresh longer.”
2. Give Your Hair a Break: Consider taking a break from the blow dryer and curling or flat irons. As an alternative, set hair with rollers or braid when damp to beat the heat and help create “beachy” waves.
3. Embrace Oils: Even with hats and umbrellas, your hair will see a lot of sun. “Additional moisture and protection is vital to the health of your hair in the summer. I love Tamanu Oil for its rich nourishing benefits,” adds Starkman. Tamanu Oil is used in Harmonic Healing Oil, which is a moisturizer and sun protectant. Simply emulsify a few drops in hands and smooth over hair.
4. Pack a Wide-Tooth Comb: Make sure to keep a wide-tooth comb or pick in your beach bag. “Brushing wet hair promotes split ends. Instead, the best way to detangle hair is to start at the ends and work toward the scalp using a wide-tooth comb,” explains Starkman. For extra slip and hydration, spray on Sweet Spirit Leave-In Conditioner before using the wide-tooth comb.
5. Dress up Your Tresses: Break out bright-colored scarves and large floppy hats! Consider a loose ponytail or a side braid for a new look that beats the heat. Decorative bobby pins and fabric hair ties add a fun touch.
6. Go Short: Is there a short cut you have always wanted to try? Why not change it up? Summer is a great time to test a chic style or get a few highlights.
7. Eat Summer Fresh: Diet plays a part in hair health, so shop at farmers markets and take advantage of in-season produce. Starkman suggests, “Avocados and nuts contain omega-3 fatty acids that add extra moisture and hydration in the body and hair. And, watch your intake of excessive sugars. They can contribute to the overgrowth of yeast, which may lead to dandruff and dry scalp.”
About Innersense™ Organic Beauty - More than ten years ago, Greg and Joanne Starkman were struck with a realization that their professional paths were not in alignment with their values. They turned inward and a new journey began with Innersense. Handcrafted using Certified Organic and Bio Dynamic plant extracts, Innersense products are free of toxins, silicones, resins, phthalates and parabens. Innersense is a Certified Green Business. The products are available at more than 4,000 salons and spas and on www.innersensebeauty.com.