Garden Grove, CA, June 13, 2015 --(PR.com
)-- Saint-Gobain Seals will be exhibiting at the Paris Air Show in the Le Bourget Exhibition Centre from June 15 to 21, and featuring their high temperature sealing and polymer solutions developed for the most demanding aerospace applications, in particular for critical parts that make a difference in performance and protection such as jet engine and APUs. Other Saint-Gobain business units will also be represented at the event: Sully, Aerospace, Specialty Films, Foams and Tapes and Process Systems and will share Booth #E138 in Hall 2B with the Seals business unit.
New solutions that are developed in jet engines to reduce fuel consumption and emissions lead to higher working temperature in the engine, which requires improved temperature capabilities for all components including seals and polymer solutions. New material formulations developed by Saint Gobain Seals help to reach these functional goals and provide precise polymer solutions that contribute to weight savings on the engine. Their OmniSeal® spring-energized seals, OmniLip™ rotary shaft seals, and Meldin® polymer components are designed to withstand extremely high temperatures (up to 350°C), and at the same time deliver outstanding sealing capabilities and wear life and retain mechanical properties. Keeping track of current trends, Saint Gobain Seals’ R&D department has been focused on extending temperature capabilities for their seal and polyimide materials.
Some key applications on a jet engine include:
• Meldin® 7000 polyimide variable stator vane bushes in the LP and IP Compressor sections, which has excellent thermal oxidative stability and excellent retention of mechanical properties at high temperature. Together with wear resistance, this material is ideal for a bushing application in a harsh environment with temperature over 300°C, high oxygen atmosphere and high radial and axial loads.
• OmniLip™ rotary shaft seals for the internal and accessory gearbox where high speed of the shaft is key with extremes up to 20,000 RPM, in combination with temperature that can vary in a wide range (-50/+175 °C).
• OmniSeal® spring-energized seals for the lubrication sump system, either in the compressor and turbine sections where high temperature (around 200°C), sealing capability at low pressure (lower than 2 bar) and chemical compatibility with jet oils are required.
Aside from jet engine and APU applications, Saint-Gobain Seals has been providing engineered solutions to other aerospace applications for over 50 years, building their customers’ confidence in their product lines over lifetime: related accessories such as bleed air, thrust reverser track liner, fuel and lubrication systems as well as wing deicing devices, flight actuation systems, landing gears, helicopter gearboxes and rotorhead as well as launch vehicles fuel systems.
To learn more about Saint-Gobain Seals’ OmniSeal®, OmniLip™ and Meldin® product lines, other product lines and its strategic business unit, visit www.seals.saint-gobain.com, follow their Twitter (@SGSeals) or connect on LinkedIn.
About Saint-Gobain Seals (http://www.seals.saint-gobain.com)
Saint-Gobain Seals is a strategic business unit under Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics’ Engineered Components SOA (sector of activity); our parent company, Saint-Gobain, is one of the world’s top 100 industrial groups and is celebrating its 350th Anniversary of manufacturing excellence in 2015. With more than 50 years of manufacturing experience and an established global presence (with strategic sites in Garden Grove, California, USA; Kontich, Belgium; and Minhang, Shanghai, China), we offer a diverse range of innovative sealing and polymer solutions:
• OmniSeal® Spring–Energized Seals
• OmniLip™ PTFE Rotary Shaft Seals
• Rulon® High-Performance Fluoropolymer Compounds
• Meldin® 7000 Thermoset Polyimide Materials
• Meldin® HT High-Performance Thermoplastic Materials
Other products include Fluoroloy® (high-performance custom-formulated compounds), cup seals, hydraulic seals, metal seals, v-packings, piston rings, Marathon® (valves and vacuum pump diaphragms), Transband® (PTFE creepage band), custom parts, polymer bearings and stock shapes.