Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom, August 05, 2015 --(PR.com
)-- The new Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia (CLL) Knowledge Centre is live on online medical education site epgonline.org. Healthcare professionals can access a wealth of information on CLL via comprehensive sections within this resource.
CLL is the most common form of adult leukaemia in the Western world1 and accounts for 1% of all new cancer cases and 38% of all cases of leukaemia in the UK2. Since the 1970s, the incidence of CLL in the UK and Europe has increased by around 85% but has stabilised in recent years2. Although there have been few studies carried out on CLL patients’ quality of life, one study suggested that emotional wellbeing scores for CLL patients were significantly lower than those with other types of cancer3.
The CLL Knowledge Centre can be accessed at the following address: http://www.epgonline.org/cll-knowledge-centre/. It is split into three key areas: ‘Disease Awareness’, ‘Events’ and ‘Resources’. Healthcare professionals can find informative sections on pathophysiology, signs and symptoms, diagnosis, prognosis, treatment options, CLL management, newer therapies, an events calendar and useful external links. All information is available in full to registered users of epgonline.org. Registration is completely free.
Director of Content Strategy for epgonline.org, Dr Toby Galbraith, said: “The Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia Knowledge Centre is intended for haematologists, oncologists and other healthcare professionals who are involved in treating patients with this condition. We are pleased to provide this resource to our users free of charge thanks to an educational grant from Janssen Pharmaceuticals.”
Notes to Editors:
· EPG Health Media (Europe) Ltd publishes www.epgonline.org, an independent website dedicated to providing healthcare professionals worldwide with free access to a comprehensive range of disease and medicines information. Categorised by medical specialty, content within epgonline.org includes a multi-language database of approved medications, treatment guidelines, clinical trial reports, journal abstracts, latest medical industry news, apps and a blog written by members.
· Headquartered in Titusville, New Jersey, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a pharmaceutical company of Johnson & Johnson, providing medicines for an array of health concerns in several therapeutic areas, including: ADHD, general medicine, mental health, neurologics, pain management, and women’s health.
1. Gibson J, Iland H J Larsen et al. Leukaemias into the 21st century – part 2: the chronic leukaemias. Internal Medicine Journal 2013; 43: 484-494.
2. CRUK (Cancer Research UK) 2014: Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) incidence statistics. Updated June 2014. Accessed 25.03.15. Available at: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org
3. Shanafelt TD, Bowen DA, Venkat C et al. Quality of life in chronic lymphocytic leukemia: an international survey of 1482 patients. Br J Haematol (2007); 139: 255–264.