Freeport, NY, February 19, 2019 --(PR.com
)-- The Book Fairies, a Long Island-based 501(c)(3) organization, elected eight new members to its Board of Directors for 2019, helping to guide the non-profit’s mission of eradicating illiteracy. Representatives from national organizations including New York Life, Investor’s Bank, and TD Bank, as well as local businesses, will steward the organization’s path towards its two millionth book donation.
The recently inducted new members of the Board include:
· George Brennan – President, Telesis Communication Services, Inc.
· Joseph M. Heaney, PE – Principal, Walden Environmental Engineering, PLLC
· Christine Ireland – Vice President, Relationship Manager, TD Bank
· Jim Joy - Managing Principal, Licensed Home Inspector, Berkley & Gabriel Home Inspection Services LLC
· Steven Miller, Esq. – Partner, Miller, Montiel & Strano, P.C.
· Therese Mora – Merrick Office Branch Manager, Investor's Bank
· Monique Y. Murphy – Corporate Vice President, Office of Diversity & Inclusion, New York Life
· Stewart Pollak, Esq. – Founding Partner, Law Office of Stewart Pollak
“We are thrilled to welcome such an esteemed group of new Board members to The Book Fairies,” said Amy Zaslansky, Founder, The Book Fairies. “As active members in their professional industries and the community at large, their participation and guidance will be invaluable to us as we continue on our growth trajectory this year and beyond.”
“I’m honored by the support of these community members and their commitment to such an important cause,” Ms. Zaslansky continued. “With the collective minds and resources of these passionate and dedicated individuals, I have no doubt that children’s literacy will see a clear impact in our region.”
The Board of Directors totals 17 members including the Executive Board, with existing Board of Director members including:
· Ms. Zaslansky, President Emeritus
· Alyssa Benyaminy, Youth Board President
· Corinna Creedan, CFO, Foothold Technologies
· Unmesh Kulkami, Vice President, Morgan Stanley
· Carolyn Vaeth, Consultant, Chernoff & Diamond
The Book Fairies’ Executive Board includes President Lisa Brighton; Vice President Michael Schnipper, Partner at Nixon Peabody; Treasurer Ryan McLaughlin, Assurance Senior Manager of BDO USA; and Secretary Ms. Mora.
About The Book Fairies
The Book Fairies is a 501(c)(3) organization that collects reading materials for people in need. The reading materials foster literacy and academic success, provide a respite from personal struggles, and nurture a love of reading across varying age groups. Over 1500 individuals volunteer with The Book Fairies, helping to sort materials and manage regular book fairs, where registered teachers are able to take an unlimited amount of free reading material to stock their classroom libraries. Founded in 2012, The Book Fairies has redistributed and donated over 1.5 million books to local high need schools, shelters, soup kitchens, correctional facilities and even underdeveloped countries in Africa. For more information, visit www.thebookfairies.org.