London, United Kingdom, July 24, 2014 --(PR.com
)-- Brits are prone to getting the DIY bug over summer, but if they do not take proper precautions, they may suffer serious personal injuries that can prove life threatening.
Something as simple as drilling a hole in a wall can be incredibly dangerous if DIY-ers don't take steps to ensure they are not drilling into an asbestos board or an electrical wire.
Kevin Burke, spokesperson for boiler, home emergency and appliance cover firm 247 Home Rescue, said: "The long summer days are a great time for home improvements; there's no better time to get your house in order than during the sunshine, when the weather is nice and when many people have a lot of free time.
"However, home improvements can quickly turn catastrophic if people do not take simple health and safety precautions.
"Sign up for a policy with 247 Home Rescue and we will deal with appliance, plumbing, electrical and boiler breakdowns on your behalf, doing so safely and effectively, so you can spend the summer months relaxing."
To stay safe when performing DIY:
- Check both sides of a wall for electrical wires and asbestos before you drill through it.
- Look at plans of your home's electricity supply to find where wires are located.
- Use a cable detector to find wires.
- Consider hiring an electrician to check for electric cables on your behalf.
- Consider where electrical outlets and fittings are positioned and work out where the wires that power them are located.
- Wear protective clothing during all DIY work.
- Do not perform any DIY work unless you are 100% confident that you can do so safely.
Notes for editors
247 Home Rescue (http://www.247homerescue.co.uk) is based in Lancashire, UK, and offers appliance, boiler and home emergency cover throughout the UK. Connect with them on Facebook by visiting http://www.facebook.com/247homerescue.