Balfour Beatty Construction’s roots date back to 1933, when two of its regional construction businesses were founded -- one in Miami, Florida and the other in Washington, D.C. These businesses, along with several others around the country, were focused locally on providing quality construction services and excellent relationships with clients and subcontractors. This local focus and success drew the attention of Centex Corporation, who in the 1960s began to enter the commercial construction arena. Through their acquisition of these regionally based construction companies, Centex Construction (the commercial construction division within the family of Centex companies) was born.
Centex Construction operated through early 2007, when it was announced that Balfour Beatty plc (a global leader in engineering and construction) was interested in acquiring the company. The deal was set, and the company became known as Balfour Beatty Construction on April 1, 2007. And while the acquisition necessitated a rebranding of name and company colors, that’s the only thing that changed. All strategic components of the business -- leadership team, financial strength, bonding capacity, and most importantly, a continued focus on local service -- remained unchanged.
In 2008, Balfour Beatty Construction marks its 75th year in business -- and is proud to be part of Balfour Beatty plc, which in 2009 will celebrate 100 years of excellence in the international construction and engineering community.