Denver, CO, August 13, 2008 --(PR.com
)-- Orgasmic Birth, a documentary film by internationally renowned childbirth educator, doula, and birth activist Debra Pascali-Bonaro, had its world premiere on May 16 at the fifth annual World Respected Childbirth Week conference in Prague, Czech Republic, followed by a screening in London and presentations by the filmmaker in Paris and Glasgow. The film will be featured on ABC-TV’s “20/20”.
Five years in the making, Orgasmic Birth challenges cultural myths by revealing the emotional, spiritual, and physical heights attainable through birth. Viewers witness the passion of birth as 11 women have their babies in unhurried, nonmedicalized settings—including hospital birth centers—where they feel supported and safe. According to birthing experts who provide commentary in the film, a pleasurable birth that is allowed to take its time is an integral part of women’s sexuality and a neglected human right.
Women’s health advocate and bestselling author Christiane Northrup, MD, observes in the film that people have been “brainwashed” to view birth not as a natural process but as “an emergency waiting to happen.” Yet birth is an everyday miracle that the body is well equipped to handle, given the proper setting and caregivers and ample time.
Health professionals in the film who present their views with evidence-based support include:
• Sarah J Buckley, MD, general practitioner/family physician with qualifications in GP obstetrics; author of Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering
• Maureen Corry, MPH, executive director, Childbirth Connection, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of maternity care
• Elizabeth Davis, BA, CPM, midwife, author, international lecturer, and co-founder and director of the National Midwifery Institute, Inc.
• Ina May Gaskin, MA, CPM, world-renowned midwife, author, and founder/director of the Farm Midwifery Center in Summertown, Tennessee
• Marsden Wagner, MD, former director of Women’s and Children’s Health, World Health Organization
The documentary has a remarkable score by John McDowell, composer of the Oscar-winning documentary Born Into Brothels. Until late 2008, DVDs and soundtrack CDs will be sold to individuals at screenings only.
Doors open at 5:00pm on September 1st in Denver for a pre-screening reception and fundraiser for FAM, the Foundation for the Advancement of Midwifery. Film begins at 6:30 pm. Doors open at 5:30pm on September 3rd in Boulder for a pre-screening reception. Film begins at 7pm.
If you would like more information on this event or would like to schedule an interview with Lauren Williams or Deb Mills, the owners of Belly Bliss LLC, please contact Lauren Williams at (970)692-0112 or email her at Lauren@BellyBliss.org