Twenty True Stories of Dogs Who Made a Difference
As with the hugely popular Marley & Me, dog lovers will be inspired and entertained by the dramatic human and dog journeys in Angel Dogs with a Mission. The amazing stories provide laughter, proof that miracles are possible, and tears -- the good kind.
Allen and Linda Anderson are founders of the Angel Animals Network, inspirational speakers, clergy members, and authors of ten books, including Angel Cats, Saying Goodbye to Your Angel Animals, Angel Horses, and Angel Dogs. They live in Minneapolis with their family of pets. They have been awarded a Certificate of Commendation from Governor Tim Pawlenty in recognition of their contributions as authors in the state of Minnesota. Their book Rescued: Saving Animals from Disaster won the American Society of Journalists and Authors Outstanding Book Award.
Angel Dogs with a Mission includes:
* Keno, a yellow Lab, rescued a lift operator buried in an avalanche.
* Kobi, a beloved and intelligent family pet with an exceptional sense of smell became one of the most famous cancer-sniffing dogs in the world.
* Tuffy, a Cavalier King Charles spaniel serves as a certified K-9 grief counseling partner with Dr. Karla Rose, a Boston grief and trauma specialist offering assistance after disasters and terrorism.
* Abdul, the first service dog for people with mobility impairments, was trained by Bonnie Bergin and Kerrill Knaus-Hardy and paved the way for people with disabilities to be independent.
* Anna, a German shepherd, damaged her lungs searching through the wreckage at Ground Zero after 9/11 and inspired Sarah Atlas to found an assistance program for volunteer search-and-rescue dog handlers.
* Skidboot, the world-famous Texas blue heeler, started life as an abandoned puppy but became such a great performer that she appeared as a guest for Jay Leno, Oprah Winfrey, David Letterman, and Animal Planet with cowboy and entertainer David Hartwig.
* Zoom, a Cardigan Welsh corgi, dropped out of the show ring, and dedicated himself to helping children in a rural Kentucky school become better readers. The school's rise in reading test scores due to Zoom's patient listening made national news.
As with the hugely popular Marley & Me, dog lovers will be inspired and entertained by the dramatic human-and-dog journeys in this new book. The amazing stories provide laughter, proof that miracles are possible, and tears -- the good kind.
Amelia Kinkade, author of Straight from the Horses Mouth, says, "This book is a tribute to the fact that many of our most effective doctors, nurses, therapists, police officers, emotional counselors, rescue workers, and spiritual teachers have four legs instead of two."
Marc Bekoff, PhD, professor emeritus of ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of Colorado, Boulder, wrote the book's foreword. Dr. Bekoff writes, "Angel Dogs with a Mission will change your life and the lives of those with whom you share it."
Allen and Linda Anderson are founders of the Angel Animals Network, inspirational speakers, and authors of the award-winning Rescued: Saving Animals from Disaster as well as nine other books in the popular Angel Animals series.
New World Library, ISBN-13: 978-1577316022, ISBN-10: 1577316029, Black & White Photographs, Trade paperback.
Allen or Linda Anderson