Raleigh, NC, October 15, 2009 --(PR.com
)-- The Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences has announced the official launch of its Twitter page (www.twitter.com/thehamner). The nonprofit research organization will use the account to report news and happenings, engage the scientific and local communities, and share research on chemical and drug safety sciences and a number of related fields.
“Twitter is an excellent example of how our culture of communication has evolved, and we recognized this as an opportunity to share our scientific findings in a new way,” said Dr. William Greenlee, President and CEO of The Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences. “We look forward to highlighting online the research that is happening at The Hamner and interacting with our peers.”
New Media Content:
The Hamner’s Twitter page
YouTube clip – Hamner-China Medical City signing ceremony
Hamner Video clip – Dr. Greenlee presentation at U.S. Chamber’s “China Business Forum”
- The Twitter page is being released in coordination with North Carolina’s business development delegation trip to Asia. Hamner officials will join the delegation, led by Gov. Bev Perdue and N.C. Secretary of Commerce Keith Crisco, scheduled for Oct. 14-27.
- The delegation will meet with trading partners and recruitment prospects in China and Japan, North Carolina’s second- and fourth-largest trading partners.
- The Hamner, which announced the launch of its partnership with China Medical City for the Hamner-China Medical City Institute for International Drug Development in May, will jointly hold life-science business seminars in Beijing and Shanghai with the state Department of Commerce.
- Started as a side project in March of 2006, Twitter (www.twitter.com) has grown into a real-time short messaging service that works over multiple networks and devices.
- Several key life sciences and economic development organizations in the Triangle maintain active Twitter accounts, including the Council for Entrepreneurial Development (www.twitter.com/CEDNC), Quintiles (www.twitter.com/quintiles) and Wake County Economic Development (www.twitter.com/KenAtkins), among others.
About The Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences:
The Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences is a nonprofit research organization strategically located on a 56-acre campus in the heart of Research Triangle Park, North Carolina. For 35 years, scientists at The Hamner have conducted preeminent research in environmental health sciences and chemical risk assessment. Built upon an integrated systems-biology platform, The Hamner has broadened its mission to include translational research in biopharmaceutical safety, metabolic disorders, and oncology. The site also includes an Accelerator, which houses emerging companies and provides opportunities to develop collaborative research and educational programs with academia, industry, and government. The Hamner model for translational research and technology development integrates innovative science with business development while capitalizing on academic and industry partnerships. The Hamner supports the discovery of new, safer drugs and formation of new companies, which leads to research-based public health policy and enhanced economic development. For more information, visit www.thehamner.org or call (919) 558-1200.
MMI Public Relations