Minnetonka, MN, July 12, 2010 --(PR.com
)-- Steps ensure cabling projects are not plagued by time and budget overruns
Datatrend Technologies, Inc., a leading network services provider, releases a list of six cost and risk reducing steps to help companies avoid network cabling installation
Network cabling represents the backbone of a well-built IT infrastructure, enabling companies to quickly and cost-efficiently adapt to emerging technologies and critical security updates. As such, any cabling installation project must recognize the importance of network cabling, and accept that some costs will be inevitable.
"With any data center project, there are going to come some inherent costs that you just cannot avoid," states, Bill Roberts, President of Network Services, Datatrend, in a recent post discussing data center cabling on the Optimize IT blog. "The good news is, there are steps that can be taken to alleviate both the costs and risks associated with a poorly planned data center cabling project."
In the post, Roberts offers six steps for Optimize IT blog readers to avoid network cabling installation nightmares:
1. Requirements Gathering: In advance, work with project managers to completely assess the current data center and business environment, from surveying the physical site to documenting time and budget constraints.
2. Implementation Planning: How will staff members interface with the infrastructure once it's complete? How will heating and cooling systems interact with the new cabling? These are the types of questions that should be asked in the cabling installation planning phase.
3. Determining a Project Schedule: Some necessary components to a cabling project may require more time than others. A project schedule can not only keep installation on track, but manage expectations of all key stakeholders.
4. Finalize The Budget: Over-designing a plan that is too costly is a trap many companies have fallen into. By finalizing a cabling installation budget in advance of any project, these overruns can be minimized.
5. Create The Design Plan: Safety and code requirements are critical components that can derail any cabling installation plan if not properly taken into account. Creating a cabling infrastructure design blueprint in advance helps your company avoid derailment.
6. Installation: Simply follow the plan the steps above have helped you create.
For expanded versions of the network cabling installation tips above, visit the Optimize IT blog by Datatrend at http://www.datatrend.com/optimize-it/141/data-center-cabling/.
Datatrend Technologies provides infrastructure management solutions, including network services project management and structured cabling installation, that help companies leverage technology expertise and solutions to optimize IT environments and enhance business. With a culture that drives extremely high customer and employee satisfaction, Datatrend is able to provide quality support and effective solutions. Datatrend takes an intimate approach to meet customer needs with a relentless attention to detail, and network services project management expertise. For more information on virtualization solutions from Datatrend, visit www.datatrend.com.