Opalesque Hong Kong Rountable: Eight Local Veterans Say Best Ideas Are in Asia
The Hong Kong hedge fund industry now contains a more experienced crowd of managers, but also more emerging managers, who use a greater variety of strategies and instruments, says a panel of eight Hong Kong based hedge fund specialists who participated in a recent Roundtable organized by Opalesque.
The territory does not just present a stable regulatory environment, low taxes, and more local money to court; it also supports the great Greater China story.
This Roundtable also covers:
· What strategies are being launched in Hong Kong?
· What kind of emerging managers are there in Hong Kong?
· What are the investment opportunities and the macro prospects in China?
· Why was the China hedge fund industry called the grey market? Where is it heading now?
· What Asian markets are currently attractive?
· What are the challenges and key investment risks? Will Western regulation affect the industry? Is the investment space being over-crowded? Is non-risk taking such a high risk on the industry?
· How difficult is the current fund raising environment? What deals are managers cutting to attract capital?
· Is the UCITS structure likely to work in Asia?
The Hong Kong Roundtable took place on September 16th, 2010, at the local offices of Bingham McCutchen, who also sponsored the event, and included the following experts:
1. Daniel Ghirardi, Chief Executive Officer, SYZ & CO
2. Vincent Duhamel, Chief Executive Officer, SAIL Advisors
3. Denise Hu, Chief Investment Officer of Archer Asia
4. Frank Brochin, Chief Investment Officer, StoneWater Capital
5. Tobias Bland, Chief Executive Officer, Enhanced Investment Products (EIP)
6. Andy Mantel, Founder and Managing Director, Pacific Sun Investment Management
7. Anne-Marie Godfrey, Partner, Bingham McCutchen's Investment Management Practice Group
8. Matthew Puhar, Partner in the Corporate M&A Securities Practice Group at Bingham McCutchen
Opalesque Roundtable Series is an unparalleled collection of intelligence on the most important global hedge fund jurisdictions and players. In each Opalesque Roundtable, Opalesque unites some of the leading hedge fund managers (single and multi strategy managers) as well as representatives of the local investor base (institutions, fund of funds, advisers) to gain unique insights into the specific idiosyncrasies and developments, the issues and advantages of the highlighted hedge fund centers.
The Opalesque 2010 Roundtable Series are supported by Custom House Group and Taussig Capital. All Opalesque Roundtable Scripts can be accessed here:
Matthias Knab, founder of Opalesque and internationally recognized expert on hedge funds and alternatives, moderates the Opalesque Roundtables.
In 2003, with the publication of its daily Alternative Market Briefing, Opalesque successfully launched an information revolution in the hedge fund media space: "Opalesque changed the world by bringing transparency where there was opacity and by delivering an accurate professional reporting service." - Nigel Blanchard, Culross. This hybrid financial news service, which combines proprietary industry news stories and filtered third party reports, has been credited by many industry insiders with delivering precise, accurate, and vital information to a notoriously guarded audience.
Each week, Opalesque sends out over 700,000 editions of its twelve publications to a global readership in over 170 countries. Opalesque is the only daily hedge fund publisher which is actually read by the elite managers themselves (http://www.opalesque.com/op_testimonials.html).
Uday Pratap Aditya