Providence, RI, November 06, 2010 --(PR.com
)-- Six physicians at Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode Island are named in the 10th edition of Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.’s America’s Top Doctors®.
Physicians are listed after an extensive selection process that begins by surveying tens of thousands of physicians and hospital executives to identify physicians regarded by their peers as leaders in their specialties. Criteria for this prestigious designation include medical education and training, professional accomplishments, demonstrated excellence in academic medicine and research, and superior patient care.
The newest edition of America’s Top Doctors®includes the following Women & Infants physicians:
· Joanna M. Cain, MD, chief of obstetrics and gynecology at the hospital, Chace Joukowsky professor and chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and dean of Women’s Health Programs at The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University; she chairs the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) Committee for International Cervical Cancer Prevention and chairs the World Health Organization (WHO) Committee Meetings on Cervical Cancer; she was also named to Castle Connolly’s America’s Top Doctors® for Cancer edition
· Stephen Carr, MD, director of the Prenatal Diagnosis Center; a maternal-fetal medicine specialist, he is part of the team performing surgery for twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome; he is an associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology at The Warren Alpert Medical School
· Sandra A. Carson, MD, director of the hospital’s Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility and its Center for Reproduction and Infertility, and professor of obstetrics and gynecology at The Warren Alpert Medical School. She is part of the research team that recently announced the creation of the first artificial human ovary, a critical tool for research into fertility, and is also involved in the hospital’s Centers of Biomedical Research Excellence (COBRE) work in perinatal biology; she is chair of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Advisory Committee for Reproductive Health Drugs, a member of the National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) Advisory Council, is past vice president of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), and a founding fellow of the North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
· Cornelius “Skip” Granai III, MD, director of the Program in Women’s Oncology and professor of obstetrics and gynecology at The Warren Alpert Medical School; he is vice president of the Society for Gynecologic Oncology and services as chair of the group’s Life Enrichment Task Force; he holds the title of oral examiner for the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology for both ob-gyn oral boards and the subspecialty gyn-oncology boards, and has earned the Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Cancer Society; he is founder and president of the International Health Foundation, which provides ongoing, direct health care and educational exchanges in which physicians and nurses from Women & Infants/Brown and the Dominican Republic visit each other to provide teaching, clinical demonstrate surgical techniques, and share ideas on treatment
· Robert Legare, MD, director of the Breast Health Center and an associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology (clinical) at The Warren Alpert Medical School; he is director of the hospital’s Cancer Risk Assessment and Prevention Program and annually receives the Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award from the medical school
· Deborah Myers, MD, director of the Division of Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery and the the Program in Women’s Physical Therapy; she is professor of obstetrics and gynecology at The Warren Alpert Medical School; she was recently installed as the president of the American Urogynecologic Society; she serves as a reviewer for eight journals, including The New England Journal of Medicine and The American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology
The mission of Castle Connolly, a research and information company, is to help consumers find the best health care. The company assembles the directory annually in printed form and online, identifying the top doctors in America and providing consumers with detailed information about their education, training and special expertise. Information is listed on the company’s website at castleconnolly.com.