Morristown, NJ, January 07, 2011 --(PR.com
)-- This time of the year, some are preparing their vehicles for winter storage. Whether it’s a high-performance, classic or antique car or an extra vehicle that’s being stored for the winter while the owners head south, proper storage is important. To help, Shade Tree Garage, an independent automotive repair shop, provides some tips on storing automobiles. They also provide storage for automobiles in their climate-controlled, alarmed facility at 171 Washington Street in Morristown, NJ.
“Cars and trucks were made to be driven regularly,” states John O’Connor, owner of Shade Tree Garage. “Winter storage, or any lengthy period of storage, can take a toll on a vehicle. That’s why it’s important to take certain precautions when a vehicle goes into storage,” adds O’Connor. Here are some winter storage tips from Shade Tree Garage:
· Protect the fuel system. To keep the gasoline fresh, add a container of fuel stabilizer to the gas tank, fill the tank and take the vehicle for a short drive just before placing it in storage.
· Drain the cooling system (including the radiator) and refill it with a rust-inhibiting anti-freeze.
· Change the engine oil and filter.
· Hook the battery up to a charger/maintainer to keep it alive.
· The vehicle should be stored up on jack stands with the wheels and tires removed. If you can’t store it in that manner, let some air out of the tires to reduce strain on the shocks and other suspension components.
· Protect the paint by giving the vehicle a good washing and waxing.
· Apply protectant to any vinyl, leather and rubber.
· Cover the vehicle with a breathable cloth cover.
· Store convertibles with the top up.
Vehicle owners can avoid the extra work of preparing their vehicle for storage by having it properly stored at Shade Tree Garage in Morristown. They can also store hard tops and tires in their facility. They’ve made vehicle storage a very easy process for car owners. To learn more, those interested should call Shade Tree Garage or visit their web site at www.shadetreegarage.com.
Shade Tree Garage is a trusted independent automotive repair shop located in Morristown, New Jersey. They work hard to accomplish their mission: “To give you peace of mind about the safety and reliability of your car.” They are located at 171 Washington Street, just past Mills and next to Golden Cleaners. For more information, visit their web site at www.shadetreegarage.com.