Honolulu, HI, June 09, 2011 --(PR.com
)-- The Hawaiian Music Hall of Fame is proud to announce the 27th Annual “Ka Himeni Ana” Hawaiian music competition on Saturday, August 27th, at the Hawaii Theatre in Honolulu.
Ka Himeni Ana, founded by Richard M. Towill, features amateur Hawaiian music groups performing in the “nahenahe” style, the distinctive Hawaiian music form characterized by sweet vocal harmony supported by unamplified acoustic instruments.
Applications and recordings will be reviewed by the Hawaiian Music Hall of Fame and contestants selected from the applications received on or before July 15th.
Ka Himeni Ana rules:
1. Competition is open to amateur Hawaiian music groups containing 2 – 5 members (no solo acts).
2. At least half of the group must perform with and play an instrument.
3. Instruments shall be “acoustic”—no electric or amplified instruments, except Hawaiian steel guitar may be electric and use a small amplifier.
4. No microphones are allowed for instruments or vocals.
5. Contestants will be judged on the quality of their vocal harmony, use of Hawaiian language, and overall musicianship.
6. Song selections must be restricted to compositions authored prior to 1945, or if post 1945 or new original composition, shall be in the “nahenahe” style.
7. Although First Place winning groups may not enter subsequent contests, individual singers may participate as members of other groups.
Contestants vie for 6 cash prizes ranging from $200 to $1,200.
To apply as a contestant, groups (no solo acts) with 2 – 5 members must submit a Ka Himeni Ana contestant information form and a cassette tape or CD recording to: P.O. Box 30337, Honolulu, HI 96820 or dropped off at 1221 Kapiolani Blvd, Roof Deck Suite #6A-1, Honolulu, HI 96814. Mark it: Attention: Ka Himeni Ana 2011. Contestant application can be downloaded from this link: http://hawaiipacificentertainment.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e67980652c31f98ee8ea3fa2d&id=fb8db48dd3&e=2218449fae. For questions or more information, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Contestant submission deadline is July 15th. To follow us on Twitter, please visit twitter.com/kahimeniana.
Mission Statement of the Hawaiian Music Hall of Fame: To promote, preserve and perpetuate Hawaiian music and hula by celebrating the achievements of significant individuals and groups.