Morristown, NJ, February 10, 2012 --(PR.com
)-- Winter driving conditions and storms may increase the likelihood of a vehicle breakdown. In the event this happens, drivers should be aware of the simple steps that can be taken to remain safe while waiting for a tow.
John O’Connor, owner of Shade Tree Garage in Morristown, says, “When it comes to winter driving, it’s always best to plan for the unexpected. The simple fact is that cars break down, but if car owners invest in preventative maintenance, they can minimize the potential for breakdown.” Beyond the need to keep up-to-date with car maintenance, O’Connor believes it’s a good idea to be aware of some safety tips in the event a breakdown occurs during a winter storm:
1. Call for assistance. If you are in an emergency situation, call 911. Describe the location, condition of companions, and the situation. Follow any instructions given.
2. Stay in the vehicle. Walking in a winter storm can be very dangerous.
3. Avoid over-exertion. Attempting to push a car or shoveling snow takes great effort in storm conditions and could increase risk of heart attack or other injury.
4. Keep an Emergency Kit in the vehicle. At a minimum, drivers should carry water, two or more blankets, a snow shovel and scraper, a flashlight and extra batteries, extra clothing (cap, mittens, etc.), extra windshield washer fluid, flares or reflectors, paper towels and a piece of brightly-colored cloth.
5. Don’t run the engine unless the exhaust pipe is free of snow or other objects. If possible, only run the engine at 10-minute intervals for heat.
6. To be visible to other vehicles and rescuers, tie a brightly-colored cloth to the vehicle antenna or door handle.
Handling some basic auto maintenance now will go a long way toward making sure a vehicle is safe and dependable when the temperatures drop and severe winter weather strikes. Anyone interested in scheduling maintenance or a repair service for their vehicle may call Shade Tree Garage at 973-540-9880. Appointments can also be scheduled on-line through their website (www.shadetreegarage.com) and Facebook page.
Shade Tree Garage is a trusted independent automotive repair shop located in Morristown, New Jersey. They work hard to accomplish their mission: “To give you peace of mind about the safety and reliability of your car.” They are located at 171 Washington Street, just past Mills and next to Golden Cleaners. For more information, visit their web site at www.shadetreegarage.com.