Sharon Y. Cobb’s Barnes & Noble Book Signing Sells Out

Barnes & Noble, St. Johns Town Center, Jacksonville, FL sold out of Sharon Y. Cobb’s new book, False Confessions of a True Hollywood Screenwriter, during a signing event at the store Saturday, January 28.

Jacksonville, FL, February 01, 2012 --( Barnes & Noble, St. Johns Town Center, sold out of Sharon Y. Cobb’s new book, False Confessions of a True Hollywood Screenwriter, during a signing event at the store Saturday, January 28. The supply of books ordered by the store was depleted during the first hour of the scheduled two-hour event. A dozen readers were in the store to buy autographed copies when stock ran low. The author sold books to Barnes & Noble from her private reserve so as to not disappoint customers.

Ms. Cobb lived and worked in Hollywood as a professional screenwriter for eight years. She continues writing film projects from her home in Northeast Florida where she lives with her tall husband and short dog.

Ms. Cobb is a member of the Writers Guild of America west, has sold over a dozen projects to Hollywood and had some films made. One of her favorites is a British comedy, Lighthouse Hill, starring Jason Flemyng. She also sold a script to Fox 2000 with Danny Glover attached to star and produce. Her TBS cable movie “On Hostile Ground” pulled huge ratings. Ms. Cobb is a former magazine editor and founding editor of Coastal Living magazine (formerly Coastal Home). She owns

False Confessions of a True Hollywood Screenwriter is an action comedy about a screenwriter who aspires to be on the A-List. But it’s not until Liz takes on Hollywood — in an estrogen-fueled rampage including kidnapping her lying, scheming agents and a movie star, a hostage standoff, a nationally televised car chase, and a siege by SWAT teams — that she realizes only in Hell-A could crime run amuck have such a deliriously happy Hollywood ending. It’s a story about taking fate hostage, shaping your own destiny and never giving up. Never.

The book is available as a paperback and e-book at, and as an autographed paperback at Ms. Cobb’s author website,


Hell-A Rules

You can’t live in LA and work in the film business without learning The Rules of Hell-A, even if by osmosis. Here are the first ten rules as outlined in False Confessions of a True Hollywood Screenwriter:

Hell-A Rule #1: In Hollywood, there are no rules and they’re strictly enforced.

Hell-A Rule #2: Always wear black or white. You can also get away with funereal colors that appear black, like navy or dark burgundy. No happy colors like red, yellow or bright blue. And never, ever wear pastels. If you look like an Easter egg, you’ll end up with egg on your face.

Hell-A Rule #3: Never ask for okra in a Beverly Hills grocery store. You will be escorted to the nearest Greyhound Bus station, where you will be placed on the next bus back to Hicksville.

Hell-A Rule #4: Meetings have rankings. You can tell how important you are to the person who invited you by the time and place of your meeting. From least important to most, they are: phone meeting, office meeting, coffee meeting, breakfast meeting, lunch meeting, drinks meeting, dinner meeting.

Hell-A Rule #5: Screenwriters never get dinner meetings unless their new movie just grossed $100 million the weekend before. Then two dinner meetings a night for two weeks is the rule.

Hell-A Rule #6: To succeed in the screenwriting business, you have to have more than faith. You have to have more than talent. You must have some family history of mental illness.

Hell-A Rule #7: No more than 5% of diners in a restaurant can be famous; the other 95% must be commoners. Of course, during Awards Month in February, when all the stars in the universe congregate in LA for the Oscars and the Golden Globes, the ratio rule is temporarily suspended.

Hell-A Rule #8: a.k.a. Screenwriter’s Dress Code: Never overdress. In fact, dress to unimpress. The proper wardrobe for a female screenwriter is well-worn designer jeans, a “cause” or retro T-shirt and tatty black leather jacket if it is “winter.” The most important part of the look is double-take shoes. Boots are good. Anna Sui black leather knee boots with metal studs and flowers will get you invited back for another meeting.

Hell-A Rule #9: Never arrive on time for lunch. It makes you look unimportant or worse, desperately unbusy.

Hell-A Rule #10: Never whine. Or if you must, do it in the privacy of your own boudoir in the darkness of night with the covers pulled over your head.

There are many other Hell-A Rules. Check out the book for the full survival program.
Sharon Y. Cobb, Author
Sharon Y. Cobb