Peachtree Corners, GA, April 17, 2012 --(PR.com
)-- Home Repairs Ministries, Inc. (HRM) has been organizing serving projects and connecting churches in the Atlanta area since 2006, originating from a local church ministry started in 2003. HRM's Executive Director, Harvey Anderson, has been involved with and leading such efforts since the 1980’s. With the release of their new site, www.homerepairs.org, HRM wants to ignite a home repairs ministry movement across the nation to help homeowners and community non profit agencies in the greatest distress and those unable to make home repairs themselves. With high unemployment and a shaky economy, the need is great.
1) According to a survey by the National Foundation for Credit Counseling, 64% of Americans don't have enough cash on hand to handle a $1,000 emergency expense.
2) 46.2 million Americans now live below the poverty line. This is the highest number in the 52 years the Census Bureau has been publishing poverty numbers.(1)
3) The aging of baby boomers presents the threat of overwhelming social services and senior citizen agencies that offer help in time of need.
4) There are a growing number of single mothers, often left with “the house” but unable to maintain it on a single income.
5) Veterans are coming home with injuries that have left them disabled, trying to care for their families on whatever they can earn.
6) Handicapped people often struggle to make ends meet and home maintenance is often not something they can handle themselves (in addition to trying to make their homes accessible).
7) Non profit agencies often do not have the budgets necessary to make changes in their facilities that would allow them to serve exponentially more people.
8) Too often, those affected by natural disasters such as hurricanes, floods, and tornadoes find that they weren’t carrying the right kind of insurance.
Starting a home repairs ministry can help all of these groups. More importantly, as Mr. Anderson points out, these are all precious souls needing the life saving message and love of Jesus Christ. Serving people by repairing homes gives churches a unique opportunity to show both.
The website is a catalyst, Anderson stresses, launching and uniting a growing movement of home repairs ministries to serve these vulnerable populations. By working and serving together HRM desires for the Body of Christ to represent Jesus to the world and our communities.
Churches that sign on to join the ministry network will be able to access:
• A comprehensive guide with proven suggestions and techniques for starting and running a home repairs team, including the HRM model (encompassed in a growing library of forms, manuals and documents).
• A network of church home repairs ministries across the nation to help the body of Christ serve together and accomplish more
• Exclusive email tips, updates, and more
• The HRM Blog - http://www.homerepairs.org/blog
• A Forum to exchange ideas, experiences and best practices (coming soon)
• Content and blog entries from partner churches - collaboration and sharing of ideas is critical for building a strong network of involved churches
HRM's vision is "Repairing homes and repairing hearts through local churches serving together."
(1) – Sourced from Census Bureau report “Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2010”