Hatfield, United Kingdom, May 04, 2012 --(PR.com
)-- Yodel, the UK’s leading parcel delivery company, today announces that it will continue its sponsorship of The Tour of Britain, confirming that it will remain the official logistics partner and sprints sponsor of the country’s biggest professional cycle race and largest free-to-watch sporting event in 2012.
The Tour, which starts on Sunday 9th September, will see the world’s top cyclists taking part in eight challenging stages throughout England, Scotland and Wales, before the thrilling final, this year hosted by Surrey on Sunday 16th September.
This is the third year that Yodel has been involved with the world class event, and the second as a lead sponsor. The partnership deal between Yodel and The Tour of Britain will see The Tour's sprints competition branded as the Yodel Sprints Competition, with three ‘hot spot’ Yodel Sprints taking place on each stage of the 2012 race.
As part of the sponsorship deal, Yodel will also become Official Logistics Partner to The Halfords Tour Series, an eleven round city centre cycling race series, which brings unique and exciting televised professional team racing to towns and cities across Britain during May and June.
Yodel will also remain Official Logistics Partner to The Tour Rides, The Tour of Britain’s amateur cycle rides, which take place this summer and allow over 5,000 amateur cyclists to take on the challenge of routes inspired by The Tour.
Commenting on the sponsorship, Yodel’s Chief Executive, Jonathan Smith, said: "We are very proud to once again be part of the UK’s leading professional cycle race. Yodel has developed an association with cycling and is the logistics partner for a number of major bicycle retailers, including Halfords, and we are delighted to be joining them again for The Tour Series.
“Like The Tour, speed and teamwork is crucial to ensure an efficient delivery service, making this partnership with Yodel and The Tour of Britain a winning combination.”
Commenting on the partnership, Hugh Roberts, Chief Executive for SweetSpot Group, organisers and promoters of The Tour of Britain, said: "We are very excited that Yodel is once again supporting Britain’s biggest cycle race. Yodel has become synonymous with the Sprints Jersey and I’m sure that fans will continue to flock to the Yodel Sprints, where some of the most exciting action in The Tour of Britain will unfold.”
Yodel joins ŠKODA UK and IG Markets in taking ownership of one of the race’s four leaders’ jerseys.
Notes to Editors
· Home Delivery Network Ltd on 1 March 2010 purchased through its subsidiary company, Parcelpoint Ltd, the domestic B2B and B2C businesses of DHL Express (UK) Ltd
· Yodel delivers more than 170 million parcels per year with annual revenues of £650 million
· It is the second-largest parcel delivery business in the UK after the Royal Mail
· Yodel operates from a national network of sort and service centres and has a fleet of 5,000 vans
· The company is headquartered in Hatfield.
For more information contact:
About Tour of Britain
· The Tour of Britain is the UK’s biggest professional cycle race and the country’s largest free-to-spectate live sporting event
· SweetSpot Group revived the Tour of Britain in 2004 after a five year absence from the calendar
· This year’s Tour of Britain begins in East Anglia on Sunday 9 September, with Ipswich hosting the Grand Depart of the 2012 Tour. Eight stages take The Tour via Nottingham, Knowsley, Scotland, England’s Northwest, Stoke-on-Trent, Wales and Devon before the spectacular finale stage through Surrey, finishing on Guildford’s uphill, cobbled High Street on Sunday 16 September. For more information please visit www.tourofbritain.co.uk
About The Tour Rides
Launched in 2009, The Tour Rides allow amateur cyclists to take on the challenge of a Tour of Britain route, enjoying the full professional experience and support from The Tour’s Official Partners and Suppliers. Five Rides will take place in 2012, starting off in East Anglia on Sunday 22nd July. To find out more and to register for your ride, visit www.tourride.co.uk
About The Halfords Tour Series
The Halfords Tour Series is Britain’s leading televised city centre cycle race series, and uniquely is all about teams, rather than individual performance. The Series begins in Kirkcaldy on Tuesday 15th May, taking place over eleven rounds in England, Scotland and Wales.
Stoke-on-Trent hosts the Series Grand Final on Thursday 14th June, with highlights of all rounds on ITV4. For more information, please visit www.tourseries.co.uk
For further information about Tour of Britain
Peter Hodges, PR Manager, 0870 112 8650, email@example.com