Boston, MA, June 13, 2012 --(PR.com
)-- New Word City llc announces the publication of the new eBook The End of the Aztecs by the award-winning writer Charles Mee.
History offers no more astonishing instance of the part that chance plays in our lives than the catastrophic slow-motion clash between Spanish explorer Hernando Cortes and the Aztec leader Montezuma, writes Mee. The 1519 landing of Cortes and his men in Mexico came as a shock to the Aztecs. Everything that followed from that moment to the destruction of an entire civilization was a succession of stunning surprises:
• The surprise that Cortes would find himself in a land where so many wanted to revolt against the indigenous central government.
• The surprise that the Spaniards could overcome the enormous military odds against them.
• The surprise that Cortes could take Montezuma captive in his own capital.
• The surprise that the Spaniards could level the entire city of Tenochtitlan.
• The surprise that an illness would be introduced that could annihilate tens of millions of people.
• The surprise that the backbone of an entire civilization could be broken in a matter of only a few decades.
The End of the Aztecs is a humbling story for anyone who neglects to take into account the inevitability of the unpredictable in human affairs.
The digital short is available on all the major bookseller sites, including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, the iBookstore, Kobo, and Sony.
About The Author
Charles Mee is the author of a dozen books of history, on such subjects as the origins of the Cold War, summit diplomacy, and the American Constitutional Convention. He served editor-in-chief of Horizon, a magazine of history, literature, and the arts. In recent years, he has written several dozen plays, which have been produced in New York, Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris, Istanbul, and India. Among his many honors, he has received the award for lifetime achievement in literature from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
About New Word City
New Word City llc is a leader in the emerging field of digital publishing, specializing in and pioneering short-form eBooks on a variety of topics, such as biographies, business, fiction, food, history, sports, and travel. Its eBooks appear regularly on a number of bestseller lists. Its titles are also featured each week on the Starbucks Digital Network.