Philadelphia, PA, April 25, 2013 --(PR.com
)-- Wizard World shows are all about the fan experience. Attendees needn't be shocked if they run into scores of Wookiees, Captain Kirks, Kaylee Fryes or any other costumed characters, as enthusiasts of Star Wars, “Star Trek,” “Firefly”/Serenity and other cosplay groups are among the more than a dozen fan communities that will be roaming the floor at Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con, May 30 – June 2 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.
Organizations representing fans of the Ghostbusters franchise and LEGO will also attend, along with noted cosplayers like Eric “The Smoke” Moran, Ivy Doomkitty, David Santiago and many others. The Wizard World Cosplay Stage will be the focal point for members of these groups and thousands of other fans who will get their cosplay on over the four days. Flashes will be popping, with fans of all ages and costumes of all types strutting their stuff.
Some of the highlight groups setting up at the event include:
· 501st Garrison Carida, a Pennsylvania, Delaware, and West Virginia based Star Wars costuming group that is part of the world’s definitive Imperial costuming organization.
· Alliance Live Action Role Playing, dedicated to recreating the Days of Legend as we would like them to be. Around since 1989, Alliance LARP is one of the largest live action fantasy medieval games with over a dozen active chapters in the United States and Canada.
· DelVaLUG, the Delaware Valley LEGO Users Group, consisting of Adult Fans of LEGO® (AFOLs) dedicated to the infinite imaginative possibilities of the iconic interlocking plastic building brick.
· Imperial Klingon Forces NasToj, the world's leading resource for Klingon costuming and culture. Through its website and Facebook page, the Imperial Klingon Forces (IKF) foster a community of Warriors to portray the Klingon lifestyle.
· Mav Oya’la Clan of the Mandalorian Mercs, whose goal is to provide a nexus for Mandalorian costumers, giving them a collective identity and representation within the Star Wars costuming community.
· NY Jedi, a community of sci-fi fans, actors, martial artists, costumers and performers who share a particular passion for Saber fight choreography.
· NYC Cosplayer Network, a multi-genre cosplay group, where many design and create their own costumes and props. The group conducts workshops on costuming, makes convention appearances, volunteers, hosts costumed themed affairs and more.
· Pennsylvania Browncoats, a group of several hundred “Firefly”/Serenity fans located in or near Pennsylvania, which organizes social events like camping and TV nights, as well as “Can’t Stop the Serenity (CSTS),” a screening of Serenity to raise money for charity.
· Pennsylvania Star Wars Collecting Society, whose goals are to enhance the collecting experience of members, share information to become better collectors, create a network for valuable items, interact and socialize in appreciation of Star Wars collectibles and culture.
· Philadelphia Ghostbusters, a local Ghostbusters franchise that helps to raise money for various charities and makes special appearances at events. Who ya' gonna call?
· Saber Guild, a voluntary non-profit costumed performance group of Star Wars enthusiasts, appearing in various events as a way of helping non-profit organizations and spread the joy of Star Wars to others.
· "Star Wars: In Character," a podcast that takes a closer look at some of the more obscure characters in the Star Wars universe. Backstories, histories, and details fans never knew, wanted to know, or ever needed to know about some of the saga's most overlooked characters.
· Take Back the Sky, a public outreach initiative to educate science fiction fans and other passionate, naturally curious people about the issues impacting manned spaceflight.
· U.S.S. Iwo Jima, an independent science fiction fan group based on a Star Trek theme, located in the Greater New York City Area which includes the five boroughs, Northern New Jersey, lower Westchester, southern Rockland and lower Fairfield counties.
· U.S.S. Moebius, NCC 4744393, a chapter of STARFLEET, International, representing a fictional Starfleet vessel, specifically a Wells Class Timeship, in the Star Trek universe. Its members assume the role of various personnel serving as crew aboard the starship.
· U.S.S. Navras, a correspondence chapter of STARFLEET, The International Star Trek Fan Association, Inc., meaning that men, women, and children from all over the world can actively join and participate in what the organization has to offer.
· U.S.S. Sovereign, NCC-75000, the local ship chapter affiliated with Star Fleet International in Philly for 23 years. A Star Trek club which costumes and celebrate many scifi genres, Trek being the favorite. USS Sovereign also raises funds for various charities.
· Cosplayers including Eric “The Smoke” Moran, Ivy Doomkitty, David Santiago, AllieCat Cosplay, Soni Aralynn, Brian Gregory, Brin Londo, Ruby Rinekso, Brian A. Terranova and Michael “Knightmage” Wilson.