Nairobi, Kenya, August 11, 2013 --(PR.com
)-- Kenya’s Cabinet Secretary in the Energy Ministry, Mr Davis Chirchir, is heading up a top level government and industry contingent who will address and participate at the upcoming East African Power Industry Convention (EAPIC) in Nairobi from 10-11 September. More than 500 power professionals will attend the 15th annual EAPIC which will address the various challenges in the region’s power industry, including unstable and unreliable electricity supply which is hindering economic growth, as well as the high demands being put on already aged infrastructure, causing frequent black outs.”
EAPIC programme director Christa Robijn says: "We are so pleased with the top level input and support this year from the Kenyan government and utility industry as power sector developments will drive the economy forward through partnerships between the public and private sector. Not only will the Cabinet Secretary, Mr Davis Chirchir, deliver the keynote address but he will be joined by Uganda’s minister of Energy, Engineer Irene Muloni, and other regional ministerial dignitaries in a panel discussion during the opening session."
She continues: “The Kenyan utility and business sectors are also giving us great support, this includes the official endorsement from Ketraco (Kenya Electricity Transmission Company), KenGen, the Kenya Investment Authority as well as the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) while Kenya Power as host utility is an important sponsor too."
The private sector will furthermore be well represented with global and regional industry giants such as GE and TCL Power already signed up as diamond and platinum sponsors respectively.
More EAPIC programme highlights:
* Vision 2030 and update on investment in Kenya
- Moses Ikiara, MD, Kenya Invest
- Mugo Kibati, CEO, Kenya Vision 2030
* High-level panellists include:
- Kaburu Mwrichia, Director General, ERC
- Joel Kiilu, MD, Ketraco
- Pavel Oimeke, Director, Renewable Energy, ERC
- Dr Ben Chumo, MD, Kenya Power
- Monica Gichuhi, CEO, Kenya Chamber of Mines
- Dr Silas Simiyu, MD, Kenya Geothermal Development Company
* Geothermal capacity building: Collaboration between higher learning institutes and the sector
- Dr Nicholas Mariita, Superintentdent, KenGen, Kenya
Event dates and location:
Conference days: 10-11 September 2013
Pre-conference workshop: 9 September 2013
Site visit: 12 September 2013
Location: Safari Park Hotel, Kasarani Off Thika Road, Nairobi, Kenya