McLean, VA, September 27, 2013 --(PR.com
)-- The Center for Excellence in Education (CEE) applauds the Research Science Institute (RSI) and USA Biology Olympiad (USABO) alumni for being named 2013-2014 Goldwater Scholars. Awardees were selected for academic merit from a total of 1,107 mathematics, science, and engineering students who were nominated by the faculties of colleges and universities nationwide.
The Goldwater Foundation is a federally endowed agency. The Scholarship Program honors Senator Barry Goldwater and was designed to encourage outstanding students to pursue careers in the fields of engineering, mathematics, and natural sciences.
The premier undergraduate Goldwater Scholarship was awarded to CEE’s RSI and USABO Alumni to include:
· Charles Henry Adelmann, USABO Nationals 2010 - Attending Rice University and majoring in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
· Yale Fan, RSI 2009 - Attending Harvard University and majoring in Physics and Mathematics
· Matthew Kilgore, RSI 2010 – Attending Lehigh University and majoring in Mathematics and Computer Science
· Eric Liaw, USABO 2009 and 2010; 2010 International Biology Olympiad (IBO) Gold Medalist – Attending Stanford University and majoring in Computational Biology
· Jeffrey Bond Wang, USABO Nationals 2009 & 2011, and RSI 2010 – Attending Harvard University and majoring in Applied Mathematics
“The Center for Excellence in Education is very proud of alumni of its programs who have garnered Barry Goldwater Scholarships,” said Joann DiGennaro, CEE’s President. “Senator Barry Goldwater was of member of CEE’s Board of Trustees so this occasion is particularly an honor for our organization.”
The Goldwater Scholarship (one and two year) awards will cover the costs of tuition, fees, books, room and board up to a maximum of $7,500 per year. A total of 272 scholarships for the 2013-2014 academic years were given to undergraduate sophomores and juniors from the United States.
About the Center for Excellence in Education
The Center for Excellence in Education was founded in 1983 by the late Admiral H.G. Rickover and Joann P. DiGennaro, President of the Center. The Center's mission is to nurture high school and university scholars to careers of excellence and leadership in science, technology, engineering and mathematics, and to encourage collaboration between and among leaders in the global community. CEE sponsors the Research Science Institute (RSI), the USA Biology Olympiad (USABO), and the Teacher Enrichment Program (TEP). For more information about the Center and its programs, visit CEE’s Web site, www.cee.org
Center for Excellence in Education: http://www.cee.org/
Research Science Institute: http://www.cee.org/research-science-institute
USA Biology Olympiad: http://www.cee.org/usa-biology-olympiad-usabo
Teacher Enrichment Program: http://www.cee.org/teacher-enrichment-program