Raleigh, NC, February 14, 2014 --(PR.com
)-- NC Theatre, the region’s premier producer of professional Broadway shows, and Broadway Series South are excited to announce their 2014-2015 season. This smash-hit season begins with a true celebration of the American Musical with A Chorus Line, followed by three additional Tony award winning productions, including the show-stopping musical, Billy Elliot; the witty Peter Pan prequel, Peter and the Starcatcher; the heart-breakingly powerful Next to Normal and more. The 2014-2015 season moves from timeless to modern and promises something for everyone. Productions scheduled to appear at the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts include:
- A Chorus Line (Oct. 14-19, 2014, NC Theatre Production): Winner of NINE Tony® Awards, including Best Musical, A Chorus Line is a stunning musical-verite about a chorus audition for a Broadway show. It is a brilliantly complex fusion of dance, song, and compellingly authentic drama. A Chorus Line is recognized as a true classic and a timeless favorite to many musical theatre fans.
- Billy Elliot (Dec. 2-7, 2014, NC Theatre & Broadway Series South Co-Presentation): The winner of tenTony Awards® including Best Musical, Billy Elliot the Musical is the joyous celebration of one boy’s journey to make his dreams come true. Set in a small town, the story follows Billy as he stumbles out of the boxing ring and into a ballet class, discovering a surprising talent that inspires his family and his whole community, changing his life forever.
- Gilbert & Sullivan’s The Pirates of Penzance (Feb. 10-15, 2015, NC Theatre & Broadway Series South Co-Presentation): Long before Johnny Depp swaggered his way across the Caribbean, a band of swashbuckling (but tender-hearted) pirates set hearts aflutter with their high-seas hijinx. This cheeky farce explodes across the stage with damsels in distress, a sexy Pirate King, a delightfully dotty Major General, and an unforgettable score.
- Peter and the Starcatcher (March 10-15, 2015, NC Theatre & Broadway Series South Co-Presentation): This musical play takes a hilarious romp through the Neverland you never knew. The winner of five Tony Awards, this swashbuckling prequel to Peter Pan will have you hooked from the moment you let your imagination take flight. Peter and the Starcatcher is the innovative and imaginative play based on the best-selling novel by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. A company of a dozen actors play more than a hundred unforgettable characters, all on a journey to answer the century-old question: How did Peter Pan become The Boy Who Never Grew Up?
- Next to Normal (May 1-10, 2015, NC Theatre Production): Winner of four Tony awards and the 2010 Pulitzer Prize, Broadway's most talked-about new musical is “brave and breathtaking” according to The New York Times and a show that “pushes Broadway in new directions” says Rolling Stone. Next to Normal tells the story of a mother struggling with bipolar disorder and the effect that her illness has on her family. With a thrilling contemporary rock score, Next to Normal is an emotional powerhouse about a family trying to stay sane and keep their family's world intact in the face of mental illness.
- The Buddy Holly Story (July 21-26, 2015, NC Theatre Production): Before the Beatles or the Stones ever played a note, rock & roll was forever changed by the bespectacled kid from Texas. Buddy tells the true story of Buddy Holly through his short yet spectacular career and features the classic songs ‘That’ll be the Day’, ‘Peggy Sue,’ ‘The Big Bopper’s,’ ‘Chantilly Lace,’ ‘Ritchie Valens,’ ‘La Bamba’ plus many more! Watch his story explode onto the stage in a toe-tapping, hand-clapping, extravaganza that will have you 'up and dancing in the aisles’!
"NC Theatre is excited to share these classic and contemporary stories of resilience, adventure, imagination, anguish and triumph with our audience,” said Lisa Grele Barrie, President and CEO. “We're thrilled to offer an award-winning season that will appeal to patrons of all ages in our Triangle arts community.”
New Media Content:
NC Theatre on Facebook:
NC Theatre on Twitter:
NC Theatre Blog:
About North Carolina Theatre:
North Carolina Theatre is Raleigh’s premiere nonprofit regional theatre. NC Theatre was created to strengthen the cultural vitality of the region and cultivate musical theatre appreciation by producing outstanding professional Broadway musicals and developing the next generation of artists through youth training, performance and outreach programs. By preserving the unique American art form of musical theatre, NC Theatre is able to provide broad access to the arts and to entertain and engage diverse audiences. For more information about the theatre, upcoming performance and tickets, please visit http://www.nctheatre.com.