Nairobi, Kenya, May 22, 2015 --(PR.com
)-- The annual East African Power Industry Convention (EAPIC) returns to Nairobi in August this year at a bigger venue, launching a new awards programme, offering a special conference track dedicated to clean energy, but still offering the same, high-level, regional power focus. The 17th edition of the event is taking place at the KICC from 27-28 August.
“This year’s theme is ‘Driving the Regional Power Roadmap of Collaboration, Investment & Project Implementation,’” says programme director Natalie Bacon: “we will showcase the status of regional projects and plans. Attendees will furthermore pinpoint investment opportunities and best practical solutions at the strategic conference and discover the latest technological advances and services available for the East African market at the expo.”
Main energy challenges in East Africa
According to the EAPIC programme director “the top challenges in the Eastern African power sector are raising attractive financing that can support infrastructure growth and the ambitious plans to connect the region to power, community engagement at every level, understanding the administrative best practice to get the approvals and supporting documents for project implementation.”
What’s new at EAPIC?
EAPIC is moving to a new venue. “Due to soaring demand for exhibition space we’re moving EAPIC to the KICC, central Nairobi,” says Natalie. "Not only does the new venue have more space for international and regional companies to showcase their cutting edge products and services, but it is easy access and convenient for local companies to visit the large exhibition."
Clean Power East Africa is also a new track in the EAPIC conference programme. “East Africa has an abundance of natural resources that make it attractive to renewable energy generation and the new track will enable delegates to learn more about the potential, technologies and processes for clean power,” explains Natalie.
Honouring East Africa’s best
Another new feature of the longstanding event is the inaugural East African Power Industry Awards says the EAPIC director: “We have a glamorous awards evening planned. This is a great opportunity for companies to entertain their clients, submit entries of projects and individuals who have excelled in the power field and celebrate the successes.” The seven award categories include the Lifetime Achievement Award, Power Transaction of the Year and Outstanding Woman in Power/Water.
High-level speakers confirmed so far are:
• Carlo van Wageningen, Director, Lake Turkana Wind Power Ltd
• Miheret Debebe, Advisor to the Minister, Ministry of Water, Irrigation and Energy Ethiopia
• Igor Bartulović, Assistant Director Power Electronics Systems Department, KONČAR Electronics and informatics, Inc
• Dr Meseret Teklemariam Zemedkun, Program Manager, ARGeo, Regional Office for Africa (ROA), United Nations Environment Programme
• Eng. Boniface Njombe, General Manager, Tanzania Geothermal Development Company
• Dr David Otwoma, Chief Science Secretary, National Commission for Science Technology and Innovation, Ministry of Education, Science and Technology
• Eng Nduma Joseph Ruwah, Electrical Engineer, Kenya Nuclear Electricity Board
• Jarrad Wright, Acting Regional Manager and Senior Consultant, Energy Exemplar
• Eng Isaac Kiva, Director, Renewable Energy, Ministry for Energy and Petroleum, Kenya
Success in 2014
Last year, EAPIC gathered more than 700 participants from 31 countries in Nairobi, including from the region’s leading power utilities, large industries and investors as well as 47 technology and service providers who showcased their products on the exhibition. Kenyan utilities KENGEN, Kenya Power, KETRACO and the Ministry of Energy and Petroleum were key partners again in what is the longest running power conference and expo in East Africa. Large East African utilities such as Tanesco, UEGCL, UMEME and Rwanda Energy Group (EEG) were also present again in 2014.
EAPIC and Clean Power East Africa dates and location:
Exhibition & Conference: 27-28 August 2015
Industry awards: 28 August 2015 – Intercontinental Nairobi Hotel
Pre-conference master classes: 26 August 2015
Site visits: 25 August 2015
Location: KICC, Nairobi