Austin, TX, October 23, 2017 --(PR.com
)-- Austin Veterinary Diagnostic Hospital announced today some simple steps that pet owners can take to keep their pets safe and free from toxic treats during the Halloween season.
Fall festivities are beginning, and like us, our pets are probably excited for the cooler weather. As we humans make preparations for the large candy-eating fest at the end of October, keep your pets in mind. Many of the delectable treats we consume during and after Halloween can pose life-threatening risks to household animals if ingested.
The most common and often most severe toxicities are produced by theobromine, caffeine, and xylitol.
Theobromine and caffeine are compounds found in chocolate, and many sugar-free or sugar substitute products contain xylitol. Baking chocolate and dark chocolate contain more of the toxic ingredients, but milk chocolate can still have a deadly impact.
When your pet ingests chocolate, you may begin to see signs of toxicity within one to four hours. Symptoms include the following:
- Excessive drinking
As hours pass, more severe signs, such as weakness, diarrhea, seizures, and stumbling will begin to appear. Chocolate toxicity is deadly if not treated, and death may occur as a result of seizures, cardiac disturbances, and/or failure of the respiratory system. This is why it is imperative to seek veterinary care for your animal as soon as you know (or suspect) they have eaten chocolate.
Based on their physical exam and medical evaluation, your veterinarian may induce vomiting to begin the detoxification process, coupled with administration of activated charcoal to further bind, absorb, and eliminate any toxin remaining in your pet's stomach.
Intravenous fluids will further help the detoxification process and can help correct electrolyte imbalances in your pet.
If seizures and/or muscle tremors are noted, the doctor will choose to give your pet anti-seizure medication. While there is no antidote for chocolate toxicity, supportive care is necessary for a good prognosis. Rapid veterinary care after ingestion will likely result in a happy outcome, but if several hours have passed and severe symptoms are present, the pet may die.
Xylitol is a sugar substitute used commonly in sugar-free gums and candies. It is rapidly absorbed by your pet's body after oral ingestion, and causes severe hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) approximately fifteen minutes after eating. Low blood sugar is seen symptomatically as weakness, collapse, lethargy, and even seizures. Your pet may have a glassy-eyed appearance and may vomit. Xylitol also causes significant liver damage and even liver failure starting twelve hours after ingestion.
Because it begins to affect the animal's body so quickly, it is imperative you take your pet to the veterinarian immediately after you realize they ate any substance containing xylitol. Even some peanut butter products contain xylitol.
Stay vigilant this Halloween and protect your pets from toxicity. What is delicious and safe for us can be life-threatening for them!
Dr. Kneupper shares helpful tips for pet care in a monthly column featured in the Oak Hill Gazette. The community is invited to take a tour of the hospital to meet the friendly staff, including Dr. Sarah. Please call (512) 288-1040 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
About Austin Veterinary Diagnostic Hospital
Austin Veterinary Diagnostic Hospital (AVDH) is a neighborhood veterinary hospital in Austin, Texas, with all the equipment and facilities of a specialty animal hospital. The friendly, talented, and compassionate doctors and staff are highly trained to diagnose and treat difficult cases with success. We have been rated Austin's #1 Veterinarian numerous times and have earned the Excellence in Customer Satisfaction Award three years running. We are a fun, lively group with a zest for life in Austin and high quality veterinary medicine. Visit us online at www.austinvet.net.