Fairfax, VA, October 25, 2017 --(PR.com
)-- MSNBC’s Chris Matthews headlines a list of accomplished journalists and communicators tackling the topic of real news — the challenge of gathering, dispensing and presenting news to the public in today's social-mediated world.
George Mason University’s ninth annual Communication Forum will be on Tuesday, Oct. 24, in the Hub Ballroom from 9:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. The forum is open to Mason students, faculty, career professionals and community members.
“The students of today are the reporters, public relations practitioners, and communication specialists of tomorrow,” said Chris Matthews. “It’s important they understand their role in interpreting and distributing factual information.”
This year’s forum, #RealNews2017, teaches guests the process of ethical and truthful storytelling in an era of fake news and pervasive dissemination of misinformation that influences societal decisions and impacts world views.
● Kevin Hall – Communications Director/Senior Advisor for U.S. Senator Mark Warner
● Pam Jenkins – President of Global Public Affairs at Weber Shandwick
● Jack Speer – News Anchor for National Public Radio
● Anthony Shop – Chief Strategy Officer and Co-Founder of Social Driver
● Richard Levick – Panel Moderator, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Levick
After the panel, students will attend a speed-mentoring session with the panelists and an additional set of industry leaders and professionals. Students will meet and interact with mentors to gain firsthand knowledge and experience with the communication industry. Students attending remain at tables in groups as mentors circulate to ensure ease of access and efficiency.
● Jasmine Westbrook – Digital Producer, Ogilvy Public Relations
● Joseph Campbell – Lead Associate in External Relations, Booz Allen Hamilton
● Ciaran Clayton – Global Media Relations, Nature Conservancy
● Logan Rice – News Bureau Lead, Northrop Grumman
● Marcella Robertson – Reporter, WUSA9
● Danny Selnick – Senior Vice President, Strategic Markets, BusinessWire
● Carolyn Cuppernull – Director of Business Development, Inmarsat Government
● Dan Hill – Founder, Hill Impact
● Michael Dobal – Emmy-winning Director, Producer, Videographer
● Ann Klenk – Executive Producer, MSNBC’s “Hardball with Chris Matthews”
● Patrick Fn’Piere – Moderator, Founder and President, Public Management Group
The annual Communication Forum allows insight and networking with potential employers and connections and is also an opportunity for students at Mason to practice the everyday skills of their postgraduate careers as professional communicators.
● 8:45 a.m. Doors open
● 9:00 a.m. Networking reception and light refreshments
● 9:30 a.m. Welcome and introductions
● 9:40 a.m. Keynote address
● 10:05 a.m. Panel discussion
● 11:25 a.m. Break and regroup
● 11:30 a.m. Speed-mentoring session
● 12:45 p.m. Adjourn
For more information, contact the Communication Department at 703-993-1090 or email Megan Edmundson at email@example.com. Attendees of the event are encouraged to participate on social media using the hashtag #RealNews2017. Register for this free event at https:// communication.gmu.edu/events/7000