Washington, DC, October 26, 2017 --(PR.com
)-- Today, Mary’s Center announced a $600,000 grant from The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation that will support the expansion of its services to a larger location in Montgomery County, Maryland.
The new location will more than triple the existing square footage, expand medical, behavioral and dental services, and create a comprehensive, full-service health center to help meet the increased demand for services in the County.
“Our location in Silver Spring is past capacity, serving nearly 4,000 participants per year, and the need is greater than ever,” said Maria Gomez, Mary’s Center President and CEO. “The support from The Cafritz Foundation has been pivotal in the launch of this expansion project.”
The purchase and first phase of renovation of 344 University Boulevard in Silver Spring is made possible by support from The Cafritz Foundation, the State of Maryland, Washington Adventist Hospital and CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield.
With a larger space, Mary’s Center will be able to employ more providers to expand medical care, mental health services, and social support to Montgomery County residents, and will have the capacity to add dental care, completing its model of providing a suite of comprehensive services at each of its locations.
The new site is projected to open for services in mid-2018.
To learn more about Mary’s Center locations visit www.maryscenter.org/locations. To make an appointment, call 1-844-796-2797.
About Mary’s Center:
Founded in 1988, Mary’s Center is a Community Health Center that provides a model of care including healthcare, education and social services to more than 41,000 individuals from over 100 countries through eight locations in Washington, DC and Maryland. Using a holistic, multipronged approach, Mary’s Center helps each participant access individualized services and find the path towards wellness, stable families, educational success and economic opportunities. For more information please visit us at www.maryscenter.org or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
About The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation:
The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation is the largest private, independent, local foundation focused exclusively on the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. The Foundation is the legacy of Morris Cafritz, one of Washington’s leading commercial and residential builders from the early 1920’s to the mid-60’s. An outstanding civic leader known for his generosity, Morris Cafritz established the Foundation in 1948. His wife, Gwendolyn, one of Washington’s leading hostesses in the post-World War II years, was President of the Foundation from 1964 to 1988. In December 1988, Calvin Cafritz was elected to the Board of Directors of The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation and since February 1989, has served as Board Chairman. In July 1993, he was elected President and CEO of the Foundation.
Since 1970, when electronic record keeping was initiated, awards totaling more than $447 million have been granted. In the last 10 years, $185 million has been awarded to more than 961 organizations in the areas of Community Services, Arts and Humanities, Education, Health and the Environment. Since Mr. Cafritz's leadership began, the Foundation has awarded more than $393 million to 8,736 projects.
The Foundation is committed to improving the quality of life for residents of the Washington, DC area.