Parker, CO, April 13, 2018 --(PR.com
)-- “March and April are typically the months where you begin to revive your lawn from its winter slumber,” said Chris Dominy, local owner of BestYard.com. Here are three fertilization & weed control secrets to make your yard the best yard in your neighborhood.
Secret #1. Do Proper Fertilization & Weed Control 6X per year.
Lawns require “good” fertilizer to maintain health and vigor. A well-fertilized lawn will be better at preventing weed infestation as well as drought and disease.
Lawns that are thick and healthy can help the environment by producing oxygen, filtering and enhancing ground water quality, cooling the air during hot weather, trapping and absorbing urban dust and pollution.
Proper Fertilizer & Weed Control schedules are:
· March / April -- 36-0-6 85% Slow Release Fertilizer to get off to a healthy start.
· April / May -- Broadleaf Weed Control / Pre-Emergent Crabgrass.
· May / June -- Broadleaf Weed Control.
· June / July -- 36-0-6 75% Slow Release Fertilizer to prepare roots for summer drought.
· July / August -- Broadleaf Weed Control.
· September / October -- 24-0-6 65% Slow Release Fertilizer to recover from summer stress and prepare root system for winter months.
3 R's: Apply the right fertilizer, at the right time, and in the right quantities to avoid burning your lawn. Use a high quality 65 to 85% slow release, temperature release, phosphorous-free, granular fertilizer.
Secret #2. Use the Best Quality Fertilizer.
There are three advantages to 65 to 85% slow-release nitrogen.
1. The nitrogen is made available to the plant slowly as the plant needs it, over an 8 to 12-week period.
2. Since the fertilizer is used gradually, very little is wasted.
3. It is safer for your lawn, your pets, your kids, and you.
Buyer Beware – False Advertising
Some lawn care companies and DIY stores advertise slow release fertilizer, but when you check the fine print on their disclosure labels, it 5 to 10% or less slow release, or only one slow release, and the remainder fast release applications, because it is cheaper.
With a fast release granular, or worse a liquid fertilizer, it’s either feast or famine for your grass since the food (nitrogen) in the fertilizer is released in 6 to 10 days, not 8 to 12-weeks. This is “junk food” for your lawn.
Binge eating “junk food” for a 6 – 10 days followed by starvation dieting 6 – 8 weeks is not good for you, or your yard.
High quality 65 to 85% slow release fertilizer is go for your lawn. If you decide to DIY, go to John Deere (now SiteOne) Landscaping or a golf course supply store to buy this fertilizer.
Secret #3: Weed, Insect, and Disease Identification and Control are key
A thick, healthy green lawn with deep roots is the best defense against weeds, insects, and disease. Proper mowing, fertilization, watering, and aerations promote healthy lawns.
Preventative treatments can keep ugly weeds, insects, and disease out before they start.
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
Do preventative treatments if:
1. Your lawn has had previous problems,
2. Your lawn is not its healthiest, or
3. There are infestations in the neighborhood.
If you have weed, insect, or disease problems, then proper diagnosis and rapid treatment is critical before the problem becomes bigger and more expensive to correct. There are some good over-the-counter products. The key is to strictly follow the directions and put down the right product at the right rate.
If you have persistent problems consult with a lawn care professional. They do not use over-the-counter products. Instead they use “professional use only” products not sold in retail stores. They require special licensing and certification by the State Department of Agriculture to use and apply.
These products are more effective with difficult-to-control weeds and deliver longer residual control.
“Follow these three fertilization & weed control secrets to make your yard the Best Yard in your neighborhood,” says Chris Dominy, Owner of BestYard.com.
For a more tips and resources by BestYard.com, visit http://BestYard.com and scroll down the right side to:
· Download BestYard.com's free Guide, “6 Secrets to Lush, Green Lawn!” and
· Subscribe to BestYard.com's free “Tip of the Week.”
BestYard.com has provided clients beautiful yards and the time to enjoy them since 1998.
Clients enjoy award winning, full service, one stop shopping for all their mowing, gardening, landscaping, irrigation, Christmas lighting, and snow removal needs.
BestYard.com is in the client satisfaction business. Our focus is on our client’s complete satisfaction.
- BestYard has more Five Star Google, Yelp, Yellow Pages, & Super Pages Reviews than any other lawn care company in Colorado.
- A Better Business Bureau A+ Rating.
- Awarded “Best Lawn & Garden Maintenance Company” for nine consecutive years.