Seattle, WA, July 25, 2008 --(PR.com
)-- After over two years in development, World Machine Software has released the newest edition of its flagship computer graphics application. World Machine 2 is the latest software package enabling digital artists to create and texture realistic computer generated terrain models. It features powerful tools for simulating erosion and other natural effects, and artist-driven control over every aspect of the terrain. The new edition improves upon its predecessor used for the past four years by 3D artists, video game studios, and movie special effect houses alike to create artificial terrain.
The creation of computer generated terrain has traditionally been a very laborious process. An artist would have to meticulously hand-sculpt all of the shapes or use hard-to-control procedural algorithms. World Machine 2 now offers a fast path to the creation of rich content, while allowing the artist to exert as much control over the specifics of their terrain as they wish.
"One of the greatest challenges for the 3D terrain artist is to achieve the desired look and feel they need for the landscape in as short a time as possible,” says Stephen Schmitt, developer of World Machine. “World Machine 2’s inherent flexibility allows the artist to easily automate the generation of terrain while still having control over specific features."
Once a basic world is created, the artist is free to refine, customize, and experiment with the geographic features. Mr. Schmitt explains, “I can either find specific terrain features I like, or use the layout tools to modify and create specific new landforms within that landscape, all within a matter of minutes."
Major features of World Machine 2 include:
* Powerful fractal-based artificial terrain creation
* A suite of vector-based visual design tools that allow customization of land features and lend guidance to the automatic terrain generation
* Realistic texturing capabilities using the rich contextual information available within World Machine 2
* Specialized terrain effects such as fluvial and coastal erosion, snow and glaciers
* Graph-based user interface that visualizes the flow of terrain effects
* Rapid previews that show how every parameter adjustment and modification affects your terrain throughout the effect chain.
* Ability to import and export common terrain data formats
World Machine 2 is available in three editions: the Basic Edition (free), the Standard Edition ($89), and the Professional edition ($189). The Basic Edition serves as a free trial, offering full functionality but with limitations on output. The Standard Edition contains all of the features listed above and is an excellent tool for the individual artist or hobbyist. The Professional Edition is optimized for users working with large data sets and demanding the highest in performance.
Additional features of World Machine 2 Professional Edition include:
* Tiled terrain: Build, import, and export terrain as tiled sets rather than a single large file to make worlds virtually unlimited in size
* Full support for 64-bit CPUs and operating systems
* Efficient multi-threading allowing the use of up to 16 CPU cores to build and view terrain.
* Automation and scripting facilities allowing for better integration into the content creation pipeline.
World Machine 2 Professional Edition is available for $189 per seat. Site licenses are also available, allowing full use of the Professional Edition features on multiple workstations for a single price.
About World Machine:
World Machine is the flagship product launched by business founder Stephen Schmitt. He began research and development on terrain generation solutions while studying applied mathematics at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington, USA. World Machine 1.0 was released in 2005, and has been widely used across the video game and movie industries for creating realistic terrain. World Machine is a proprietorship based in Seattle, Washington.
For more information please contact:
Stephen Schmitt (firstname.lastname@example.org)