Salida, CO, August 19, 2008 --(PR.com
)-- Few things are finer than summer in Chaffee County. Cobalt blue skies and perfect summer time temperatures fill the air. Situated along the base of the Collegiate Peaks, in Heart of the Colorado Rockies, Chaffee County provides recreation and refreshment to fill the long days of summer. If that’s not enough, here are 10 new reasons to visit Chaffee County.
10. Trek through original ghost and mining towns on new ATV’s from the general store in St. Elmo. Ride for a couple hours or all day on more than 10,000 acres in the Fourmile Travel Management Recreation Area. This spaghetti-like network of trails is for general driving, extreme four wheeling, ATV-only or dirt bikes.
9. Kayak or raft the world famous Arkansas River during the best water in history. River Runners is sporting the new River Runners Bar and Grill. The riverside location is a great place to grab a great lunch and share whitewater adventures. The river is the lifeblood of the valley and there is nothing quite as refreshing as traveling at the bottom of the topography with 14,000 foot peaks looming overhead.
8. Fly Fishing in Chaffee County is always a new adventure with new insect hatches that happen August through September. These hatches include mayflies, caddis, stonefly and pale morning duns. Lake fishing is another treat for the extreme angler or the first fishing outing with the grandkids.
7. After a day of recreation in Chaffee County stay for a night or a week at the new Simple Lodge and Hostel in downtown Salida. Enjoy a fabulous pancake breakfast before venturing out on the next adventure, whether it be bagging a 14er or just cruising the plethora of Antique and Art stores in downtown Salida.
6. Saturdays in Salida just got better with the addition of the new Farmers’ Market in Alpine Park in downtown Salida. “Freshies” of all kinds are available at this wonderful local marketplace.
5. Looking for a new summer or fall wardrobe? Verdigris is in a new location on F-street, Yolo has a new addition to its great F-Street locale. Salida Mountain Sports and Headwaters have all of the newest gear for all outdoor endeavors.
4. After a long day of adventuring in Buena Vista, visit the Mother’s Bistro and the Global Garage, the new additions to the Buena Vista restaurant scene. The Asian Palate located in the Evergreen Café has introduced a new Wednesday night Sushi and Thursday, Friday and Saturday Thai menus beginning at 5pm.
3. Salida also has its share of new restaurants; The Great Wall is serving up Chinese cuisine, Me Gusta, across from Riverside Park is home to great Southwestern fare, The Butcher’s Table serves lunch or dinner on white table linens while Chef Kurt dishes up new and delicious specials daily and finally don’t miss the new BoatHouse Cantina, serving up great fish tacos and specialty drinks, located on the banks of the Arkansas River on F Street.
2. Mt. Princeton has seen a major remodel and over haul in the past several years. Their NEW cabins, conference center, swimming and tennis courts are the finishing touches on a beautiful location with many of Chaffee County’s best sites and adventures nearby. You can lounge at the pool, eat at the wonderful riverside restaurant or have the dream reunion or wedding all in one pristine location.
1. The biggest new news in Chaffee County is the opening of the region’s first publicly owned, full-service conference and meeting center. The new Steam Plant Theatre and Events Center is located in heart of downtown Salida on the banks of the Arkansas River. The addition of a ballroom, outdoor plaza and meeting space has transformed the SteamPlant into the premier location for corporate and community functions as well as private receptions and parties.
About Chaffee County—
Chaffee County is located in Central Colorado, the Heart of the Colorado Rockies. As Colorado's Headwaters of Adventure – it stars the small towns of Buena Vista, Salida, Poncha Springs as well as Monarch Ski & Snowboard Area.
Folks drawn here enjoy the welcome contrasts to the state's more glamorous destination resorts. The trendiest clothes or newest equipment are not nessary to fit in with the locals. However, guests with a thirst for adventure iwll find the more than 100 miles of Arkansas River to raft, fish, float or kayak in. Fifteen of the states fifty-three 14,000 ft. peaks touch the sky here in the Sawatch Range.
In spring, summer and fall Chaffee County is a mecca for the outdoor enthusiast. Visitors can choose from recreational activities such as hiking, biking, ATVing, kayaking, whitewater rafting, flyfishing, camping, horseback riding, swimming, tennis and golfing. Winter sports fans can enjoy skiing and snowboarding at Monarch Mountain, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and ice fishing. Year-around visitors in the “banana belt” can enjoy distinctive restaurants, unique shops, incredible art galleries and a large selection of antique shops in the historic towns of Salida and Buena Vista. Lodging options range from motels to rustic inns, bed and breakfasts, hostels, beautiful campsites to guest ranches.
For more information and a complimentary brochure, visit coloradoheadwaters.com