Cincinnati, OH, February 04, 2021 --(PR.com
)-- The polar vortex will soon bring extremely cold temperatures to most of the country. Sustained cold temperatures and wind chill will cause exposed water pipes to freeze and burst. Even a tiny crack can unleash more than 200 gallons of water in a single day, but the extent of the damage won’t be obvious until pipes thaw.
Roto-Rooter offers the following tips to help homeowners prevent frozen pipes. By taking preventive measures before pipes freeze, homeowners can minimize their risk of a plumbing catastrophe and associated flooding.
- Disconnect outside water hoses. Cover outdoor faucets with Styrofoam faucet insulation kits found at home centers.
- If outside faucets are dripping, make the necessary repairs before freezing temperatures arrive.
- If your washing machine is in an unheated garage, turn off water supply lines leading to the appliance and disconnect the hoses.
- Allow a trickle of hot and cold water to run in sinks and bathtubs if their water supply pipes run through outside walls.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinets beneath sinks to allow heat to circulate around uninsulated pipes.
- Add insulation wraps to water pipes in unheated areas, such as garages, crawl spaces and beneath pier & beam homes and trailers.
- Apply thermostat-controlled heat cables to exposed pipes.
- Set home thermostat no lower than 55 degrees.
What to do if your pipes have frozen
- Shut-off the water main leading into the structure and open indoor faucets to reduce pressure on frozen pipes then call a plumber.
- If the frozen pipe is exposed and visible, use a hair dryer or space heater to thaw ice blockages. Do not use an open flame.
- Plumbers have pipe-thawing equipment to get pipes flowing again.
- If you’ve experienced flooding or water damage, contact a certified water cleanup service provider right away to minimize long term damage.
http://www.rotorooter.com/ is a good source of information for all plumbing and water cleanup questions.
Roto-Rooter was established in 1935 and is the largest provider of plumbing and drain cleaning services in North America. Roto-Rooter operates plumbing and water cleanup businesses in more than 130 company-owned territories and more than 400 franchise territories, serving most of the U.S. and Canadian populations.