Bangkok, Thailand, March 20, 2015 --(PR.com
)-- SpiceRoads has designed a Macedonia Mountain Bike Odyssey
, a challenging 8-day adventure across the rugged beautiful mountainous landscape of the area. This cycle tour has been designed for those who want to test their mountain bike stamina, take in the awe-inspiring views and absorb the local culture.
Macedonia is perfect for the enthusiastic mountain biker – 80% of the terrain is covered by mountains, many peaks over 2000m. There is also a myriad of pristine lakes including the dazzling Lake Ohrid, gushing rivers, and natural treasures. Macedonia also abounds in historical and cultural sites influenced by the exploits of Alexander the Great and St Paul the Apostle as well as by the Byzantine and Ottoman empires.
The tour starts in the bustling Skopje with a warm up ride to nearby Vodno Mountain before heading to the ski resort of Popova Sapka. The peaks keep arriving as the tour rolls across the Leshnica Massif, home to the bear and lynx, through national parks to beautiful pastures filled with bright floral life. The tour ends with a ride through Pelister National Park and a visit to the big lake known as the Pelister Eyes.
Highlights of the tour include
* Mountain bike through glorious scenes of grassy meadows, birch and pine forests, snow-capped peaks, winding rivers and crystal clear lakes
* Whisk up by cable car to the foot of the Millennium Cross, a 66-metre high commemoration to 2,000 years of Christianity
* Visit the 14th century monastery of St Andreja built by the son of the famous medieval King Volkashin
* Discover the wild Leshnica Valley and be on the lookout for lynx, bears, and wild boar on the ground and eagles, falcons, and hawks in the air.
* Walk around the Painted Mosque in Tetovo, a unique Ottoman structure known for its beautiful façade
* Cycle through the stunning Mavrovo National Park, home to Macedonia's highest peak, Mt Korab (2764m)
* Take a break in an ancient sheepfold and try freshly-made cheese and pavlaka
* Spend a day visiting Ohrid, a UNESCO World Heritage site for both cultural and natural attractions, touring St. Sofia Church, Plaoshnik Complex, the Amphitheater and Tsar Samuel's Fortress and just then relaxing by one of Europe's oldest and deepest lakes
* Tackle the grand Galicica Mountain to be rewarded with stunning views of Lake Ohrid and Lake Prespa
* Ride through the rich flora of Pelister National Park to its two glacial lakes, Pelister's Eyes, both at over 2,000 m.
This is a strenuous tour and is for those who want to test their climbing stamina. There is 6 days of cycling for 285 km with 5700 m in ascents. The biking is primarily over dirt and gravel roads, with some single track trails and a few sections of paved roads. Because of the remote locations, this tour will not have vehicle support on all of the rides. On some days the van will meet the group at various points throughout the day, on others the van will only be there at the beginning and end of the tour.
Costs and discounts
The tour cost is US$1,850 with an additional US$200 for bike rental. The single supplement is US$240. Included are accommodation, all meals and drinks and snacks while riding.
Bookings for the May tour will include a free bike rental.
SpiceRoads is a specialist bicycle tour operator based in Bangkok offering a range of two-wheel tours in over 25 destinations worldwide. SpiceRoads tours cater for every level of cyclist and range from day trips to complete country explorations. Participants are invited to join tours with fixed date departures scheduled throughout the year, while private or tailor-made tours can be arranged for groups or individuals on request. The highly professional operation employs experienced cycle guides to lead all tours and has a fleet of well-maintained mountain and road bikes and support vehicles.
Please call or email for more information or photos.