New York, NY, March 16, 2020 --(PR.com
)-- Pelton Graham LLC
calls on federal, state and local governments to take significant action to protect the rights of all Americans adversely impacted by the spread of COVID-19. If significant steps are not taken immediately to support the millions of Americans most impacted by the pandemic, our country risks a social and economic devastation of the type not seen since The Great Depression. While many office workers are able to work from home and have sick leave available to them, many low-wage workers – including those who work in restaurants, retail and other service jobs – cannot work from home and generally have little or no paid sick time available to them.
In an effort to protect the working people in America, Pelton Graham calls on legislatures to take the following immediate actions:
1. Increase Unemployment Insurance Benefit Payment maximums to commence immediately to ensure that working Americans are not forced into financial ruin as a result of this crisis;
2. Extend government-funded Paid Sick Leave to include all employees (not just employees of large employers) and beyond the 14 days contemplated by the newly approved H.R. 6201 (Families First Coronavirus Response Act);
3. Extend New York City’s one-week moratorium on evictions for at least 120 days for New York City and the entire State of New York;
4. Ensure all Americans, regardless of immigration status, have access to medical testing and treatment without fear of immigration ramifications. Information regarding COVID-19 must be provided to all ethnicities and nobody should be fearful of seeking treatment; and
5. Provide government-funded Paid Family Leave nationwide for employees required to stay home from work to care for family members infected with COVID-19.
Although federal, state and local governments have been slow to act thus far, an immediate and comprehensive response from our legislators right now will go a long way to prevent the type of devastation that will result if more is not done for the American public.
Join in Pelton Graham LLC’s efforts to encourage government action by calling your federal, state and local government representatives and imploring them to take the above steps for their constituents. Find your federal, state and local representatives at the following websites: https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative ; https://nyassembly.gov/mem/search/ ; https://www.nysenate.gov/contact
Pelton Graham LLC: The attorneys of Pelton Graham LLC have been advocating for justice on behalf of working people since 2008. With offices in New York and California, Pelton Graham LLC counsels and assists employees primarily in wage recovery and discrimination matters. More information regarding Pelton Graham LLC and their work in advocating for workers’ rights can be found at www.peltongraham.com
or by calling 1-888-WRK-LWYR (888-975-5997).