Newport Beach, CA, May 05, 2017 --(PR.com
)-- The U.S. Bank OC Marathon features a strong elite field this year, particularly in the half marathon, with several Olympic Trial qualifiers in contention. The 2017 Elite Prize purse is strong as well, with over $10,000 up for grabs in full, half and 5K. In addition to the overall winnings, runners can earn bonuses for breaking current course records. Detailed information is available at http://www.ocmarathon.com/ForRunners/Registration/EliteAthletes.aspx.
The U.S. Bank OC Marathon and Half Marathon is proud to have been selected to host the USATF National Masters Half Marathon Championship right here in Orange County, California. This championship will boast an additional $10,000 in Masters prize money, special USATF elite performance medals for all runners who age-grade over 80%, a stunning location, a keepsake OCM event T-shirts, finisher medals and a fast course.
Key runners to date include:
- Liz Camy, age 31, from Simi Valley, former winner at the OC in 2015, is a top contender in the OC Half Marathon field with an overall personal best of 1:15:56, and a personal best of 2:46:58 in the marathon.
- Juan Paredes, age 27, from Santa Ana, is a UC Santa Barbara alumnus who runs for Aztlan Athletics, and has a personal record of 1:04:38 from the Jacksonville Half Marathon.
- Jordan Chipangama, 2016’s OC Marathon champion, will compete in the half marathon this year. He leads the elite field with qualifying marks of 2:11:35 in the marathon and 1:02:24 in the half marathon.
- Lindsay Tollefson, two-time Olympic Trial marathon qualifier, will compete in the half marathon this weekend with a previous personal best of 1:16:45.
- Julie Stackhouse is an Olympic Trial hopeful for 2020 with a personal best of 1:16:54 in the past year.
- Bryan Morseman has won three marathons in the past eight days and looks to be a top contender in the full marathon this weekend. His personal best in the marathon is 2:19:57.
- Sarah Mostatabi, NCAA DIII Outdoor Track All-American, has a personal record of 2:40:09 and will compete in the half marathon this weekend.
- Greg Mitchell, American record holder of the Masters 20K on the track, leads the Masters Half Marathon elites with a personal best of 1:06:35 from the 2009 Flat Half Marathon.
To be considered for the Elite Program, a runner must have proof of race results from the past two years for the marathon at sub-3:00:00 for women and sub-2:35:00 for men. Athletes may also qualify with half-marathon times from the past two years and must meet the time standards of sub-1:20:00 for women and sub-1:10:00 for men.
About the U.S. Bank OC Marathon:
In its 13th year, the U.S. Bank OC Marathon and Half Marathon (May 7, 2017) welcomes runners from more than 20 countries and all 50 states. The course is considered one of the best destination races on the West Coast with its diverse terrain, changing vistas and majestic ocean views beginning in Newport Beach, CA, traversing four Orange County cities and finishing with the Ultimate Finish Line Festival at the OC Fair and Event Center.
The three-day event also includes the OC Lifestyle and Fitness Expo, the Kids Run the OC presented by Nutrilite -- one of the largest youth running days in the country with nearly 10,000 children finishing their "Final Mile" on Saturday morning -- and the Wahoo's OC 5K on Saturday, May 6th at 5:00 p.m. Come “Catch the OC Wave”!
For more information, please visit www.ocmarathon.com.
Julie Karges, Rooted Agency