Franklin, TN, July 23, 2009 --(PR.com
)-- This two day course will give therapists everything they need to develop a comprehensive post breast cancer surgery rehabilitation program as well as protocols to develop an exercise program for all cancer patients. A thorough presentation of the pathology of breast cancer, risk factors, early detection and prevention, specific surgical and reconstructive procedures, muscular, lymphatic, nerve and fascia involvement, staging, radiation and systemic treatments and side effects will be given to facilitate direct development of a comprehensive rehabilitation program. The psycho-social aspects of breast cancer and treating patients of diverse multi-cultural backgrounds will also be discussed. Hands-on and in-depth lab instruction will be given on evaluation, initial and advanced post surgery exercises, scar and soft tissue mobilization, skin care and lymphedema prevention and treatment planning. Guidelines for developing aerobic and strength-training exercise programs for patients during and after cancer treatment will be taught; as contemporary research proves that exercise during cancer treatment enhances outcomes. Participants will learn all the necessary marketing, education and reimbursement aspects for developing comprehensive pre-op and post surgery rehabilitation and cancer exercise programs, and will be given patient education material including a home exercise program.
- Thoroughly understand breast anatomy, breast cancer pathology and the muscular, tissue, nerve and lymphatic involvement of surgery and reconstruction procedures.
- Understand risk factors and myths and the importance of early detection of breast cancer.
- Perform the MammaCare method of breast self-exam.
- Understand radiation, chemotherapy and hormonal treatment, the side effects of each and the implications for rehab.
- Have an awareness of the many psycho-social aspects and various cultural views of breast cancer.
- Evaluate, plan and implement treatment for patients after any type of breast cancer surgery.
- Confidently perform post surgery scar and soft tissue mobilization.
- Have a thorough understanding of skin care and lymphedema prevention.
- Instruct patients in initial and advanced post surgery exercises.
- Develop exercise programs for patients during and after cancer treatment.
- Implement an individualized pre-operative class.
- Develop comprehensive post breast cancer surgery rehabilitation and cancer exercise programs including marketing, patient and clinician education, and reimbursement
This North American Seminars Inc course is instructed by Linda Canyon OTR/L.
Linda Canyon, OTR/L has been specializing in post breast cancer surgery rehabilitation and lymphedema management for the past 14 years; having pioneered these programs in the Four Corners Region of the Southwest. She graduated with degrees in Occupational Therapy and Psychology in 1979 from The College of St. Catherine in St. Paul, Minnesota. She currently practices at the San Juan Regional Cancer Center in Farmington, New Mexico and has rehabilitated well over a thousand women of diverse multi-cultural backgrounds following breast cancer surgery. She has worked in home health, hospital, inpatient and outpatient rehab settings including on the Navajo and Jicarilla Apache reservations as well as the cancer treatment center in Durango, CO. She has held seminars in New Mexico and Colorado on post-breast cancer surgery rehab and lymphedema management and is a certified trainer for clinicians in the MammaCare method of breast exam. With funding from the San Juan Medical Foundation and filming by Northern Navajo Medical Center Media Production, and in conjunction with an oncology nurse and a Navajo breast cancer survivor, she developed an educational DVD in Navajo (with English subtitles) on lymphedema prevention and treatment and post surgery exercises that won Telly national health national healthcare awards in three categories.