Boston, MA, February 22, 2013 --(PR.com
)-- Recognizing the specialized navigation needs of truck drivers, TeleType pioneered the use of portable GPS for truck navigation beginning in 2008. The company also offered the first cloud based truck routing app for the Android operating system and has now released the SmartTruckRoute app for iPhone and iPad. The SmartTruckRoute app connects to in-house truck routing servers located in Boston, Massachusetts to allow commercial drivers to use the built-in GPS of the phone or tablet to create truck specific routes with the added benefits of live map updates. The software takes into account commercial truck restrictions as well as the vehicle height and weight. SmartTruckRoute helps drivers avoid costly tickets and provides additional safety. Turn by turn visual and voice instructions allow the driver to use the handset hands free when navigating.
According to Marleen Winer, Vice-President, TeleType, “Drivers have indicated their preference for using their phones and tablets as primary tools of the trade and appreciate the cloud based efficiency for providing a convenient, cost effective way to obtain instant truck specific routes for navigation.”
SmartTruckRoute Key Features and Benefits:
· Maps, routing, and restrictions updated daily, pro-active database update for temporary restrictions as well as driver feedback loop.
· Quick method of validating a truck route with the convenience of using smartphones or tablets.
· Use built-in GPS for turn by turn navigation.
· Instant activation without the need for lengthy map downloads, offers immediate truck specific routing upon purchase, no waiting time.
· Fast routing, even long routes take less than two seconds to complete.
· Highly efficient routing service offers up to the minute maps.
· Routing considerations include low bridge heights and clearances, load limits, one-way road designations, sharp turns, and allowances.
· Visual and Voice turn-by-turn instructions.
· Navigation panel offers large type for critical information such as Distance to Turn, Distance to Go, Time to Destination, and Street names.
· Dynamic routing based on size and weight of vehicle, user definable truck specifications.
· Supports Hazmat restrictions by class to avoid tunnels and other restricted areas as appropriate.
· Displays hybrid, street mode and aerial views at no additional charge.
· Use built-in speakerphone to speak the destination address or business name for safe and convenient hands free operation.
· Navigation does not interrupt other functions of the phone therefore the driver can talk simultaneously while SmartTruckRoute is in use.
· Maps are automatically cached to conserve data usage.
SmartTruckRoute is available for Android and Apple iOS. Apple plans begin as low as $9.99. Contact TeleType for corporate licensing and route integration applications.